Compass Bubble Help Needed

Posted by: Old_Scout

Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 02:58 PM

I own a decades-old Silva Ranger compass. It has gradually developed a serious bubble in the liquid. I have searched the threads and seen the "warming recommendations." Have tried that and the bubble was reduced about 25%. So, now I put it to the forum:

1 - any more ideas on how to "home fix" the bubble in the compass problem?

2 - if not, to whom should I appeal for factory help on a VERY old Ranger? (faint hope, I know!)
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 03:31 PM

I don't think it will be worth your trouble, but you might send an e-mail [url=mailto:camping@johnsonoutdoors.com]here[/url] and see what they have to say...
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 03:32 PM

Boy, that came out looking kind of funny, I hope the link works...
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 04:34 PM

The real question is: Does the compass work in it's present condition? If so, I advise you to leave it alone. Bubbles do work their way in over time and unless the compass has a built-in access port in the back, you will most likely destroy it or permanently ruin it while attempting to repair it.

SMALL PRINT ADDENDEM: My experience is with Marine Compasses.

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 05:40 PM

10-4
Any such thing as replacing the capsule on the Ranger?
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 05:47 PM

Silva FAQ w/ bubble information

They are warrantied for life of the compass with the usual disclaimers.

Don't try to fix it yourself. BTDT Kept the needle & chucked the rest.

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 05:48 PM

Sent it off. We'll see. If they offer to fix it I will be the most amazed guy in America - and a lifelong devotee of Johnson Outdoor Products from here on out!

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 05:55 PM

That's a reassuring page. I sent an e-mail and we'll see.

A compass, like my matches, is something I don't like to muck about with - or tolerate defects. I've been in situations, in the real world, where my life did depend on proper functioning of this bit of technology. While I normally carry two capable compasses on serious trips in the wild (and own several good ones e.g. Cammenga, Suunto, Brunton), I like the old Ranger and want to keep it ticking along.

Thanks for all the help from the forum.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 10:19 PM

I thought I was the only one paronoid enough to carry two good compasses, I would rather depend on them instead of a gps.

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/04/07 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
I thought I was the only one paronoid enough to carry two good compasses, I would rather depend on them instead of a gps.

The trouble with GPSes is that after two years in the wilderness the batteries will be dead! Or just two minutes before you really need it!
Posted by: KenK

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/05/07 02:52 AM

Correction ...

Johnson Outdoors only owns the trademark, they don't make the compasses. The relationship between Silva of Sweden and Johnson Outdoors went sour years ago when Silva bought Brunton and Johnson Outdoors wouldn't let go of the US trademark for the Silva name.

The compasses Johnson Outdoors sells today have nothing to do with the "real" Silva of Sweden.

You should probably contact Brunton (who, as I mentioned, is now owned by Silva of Sweden) and get their advice on a repair.
Posted by: MarshAviator

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/05/07 03:42 PM

raydarkhorse your not paranoid.
The only excuse for two compasses is you just lost your third.
I must be; carry three compasses AND a GPS.

It seems every plastic liquid filled I have or ever owned develops a bubble.

At least the lensatic can't do that.

Seriously unless it's large the compass will function correctly.
I wouldn't heat it very much, maybe a little indirect solar heating in a window.

Good luck.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/05/07 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: kghirardi
I wouldn't heat it very much, maybe a little indirect solar heating in a window.

I once tried to remove a bubble from my first Brunton Eclipse 8099 by putting it under a light bulb. It clearly turned out the bulb was too close as I ended up melting the capsule. I sent it to Brunton for repairs and they fixed it up good as new without charging me anything.

Do be careful.

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/13/07 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I don't think it will be worth your trouble, but you might send an e-mail [url=mailto:camping@johnsonoutdoors.com]here[/url] and see what they have to say...

Went to the web site, sent the e-mail describing the problem. Days later . . . no response. Despair has set in - again. Will contact Brunton and report back. Did put in a sunny window - bubble shrinks about 20% - still large. Will persevere (in the meantime bought a Suunto world-whatever model - it's super - I like the needle - some people don't - now have three compasses in my E&E pack - got even more paranoid!) crazy
Posted by: aligator

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/26/07 02:17 AM

Old Scout, So what happened? Any news yet. I have a Silva model couldn't tell you which one but its about 2x2" folding with a black cover and a mirror supposedly designed for mil. survival kits. Used to carry it in my coat as a backup (1 of 3), and I took it out one day and it had developed a bubble. It never suffered any banging around or anything. I'd be interested in how you made out. Regards Jim
Posted by: PSM

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 03/26/07 10:01 PM

That's probably the Type 27. I've got one with a large bubble too. Very interested in the outcome of this thread.
Posted by: David

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 04/03/07 09:20 PM

I had an older Silva Ranger type 15 compass (aluminum bezel; luminous points so old they'd barely glow after zapping with a Surefire light) that developed a bubble. I bought it used about 20 years ago; got it cheap because it had a bubble that was large enough to deflect the needle. Sent it in (to Johnson, I think) & they repaired it (replaced the capsule; the body was the same.

Fast forward about 20 years (about 18 months back): Same compass developed another bubble (this was the one I used to leave in my vehicle, so it was subject to temperature changes). All the silliness with Johnson Outdoors, Silva, & Brunton had happened by then. I contacted both Johnson Outdoors & Brunton in Colorado (owned by Silva of Sweden, I think). Johnson said they could replace it, but not repair it. I believe she said their compasses are now made in Finland, which would make them Suunto.

I wound up deciding on Brunton, since they were still actually Silva compasses. They said to send it in, & issued an RMA. They explained that they would replace it with a current model under warranty, which they did. In fact, it was the Type 15CL, with the clinometer, so I actually got a slight product upgrade. Service was very fast

Kinda hated to part with the old one, but hey, this was a new, improved version. I'm more than satisfied.

I've also had Recta repair a similar compass with a bubble. Had to send that one back to Switzerland; took a few weeks.

My experience with manufacturers has been pretty good, I'd have to say.

Regards,

David

P.S. BTW, I no longer leave a liquid-filled compass in my vehicle. I replaced it with my old Boy Scouts Explorer by Silva (aluminum bezel, no declination adjustment, no liquid); it was my first compass, & just about indestructible. I'd already given it to my son, but traded him a Brunton 8020G for it. We were both happy. DRL
Posted by: Alex

Re: Compass Bubble Help Needed - 05/21/07 08:07 PM

A small bubble is not really a problem if it's not larger than ~1/2 of the compass dial diameter. It's actually very useful working as a bubble level, helping to hold the compass very close to horizontal position in hands (it's crucial for reliable measurements not only for needle compasses).