polyester fleece lined jeans

Posted by: Frankie

polyester fleece lined jeans - 10/19/06 02:09 PM

I'm aware that jeans are bad in survival situations because it's cotton and often tight fitting. But what about polyester lined jeans such as the Carhartt or other brands? Do you have some of them?

Frankie
Posted by: Malpaso

Re: polyester fleece lined jeans - 10/19/06 02:12 PM

Good question. I just saw some fleece lined and some flannel lined ones in Cabelas and was wondering the same thing.
Posted by: urbansurvivalist

Re: polyester fleece lined jeans - 10/20/06 01:28 AM

I'd say they're not much better than regular jeans. Sure they're warmer, but if they get wet they'll take forever to dry, and weigh you down while they're giving you hypothermia. And when you're active, you'll overheat because the fleece lining isn't removeable. On the plus side, jeans are more durable than most synthetic pants, and the casual look doesn't stand out in an urban environment.

Your best bet for survival, at least outdoors in cold temperature, is the versatility of layering. Synthetic long underwear, synthetic pants(insulated for very cold temps or low activity levels), and an outer rain/windproof layer, preferably with full-lenght zippers for easy donning and removal.

Posted by: haertig

Re: polyester fleece lined jeans - 10/20/06 01:49 AM

I had some of those lined jeans a few years back. They are warm. They are heavy. They are for around town, not out in the wilderness.

I have a pair of EMS Microfleece pants and a pair of EMS Thunderhead waterproof / breathable pants I can put over them for additional wind or rain protection when I'm hiking.

In reality, I tend to just wear my synthetic zip leg convertable hiking pants come sun, rain, or wind. It's rare that I even zip the legs onto those, let alone pull out the heavier wear. But I always carry the heavier stuff in fall or winter hiking. Doesn't weigh much, packs up fairly small, and is there if I need it.