First-Aid book?

Posted by: fugitive

First-Aid book? - 02/18/06 05:53 AM

I am looking for an up-to-date first-aid book for use with my primary first-aid kit.

My old Red Cross manuals are ancient and likely contain a fair amount of dated information. As I search around Amazon.com I found some books with high ratings, but were often 10 years or more from last revision. Some of the newer books seem to be too much fluff (geared for someone with no first-aid experience) or lacked any substantive ratings.

My priorities are:
Approximately the size of the old Red Cross books (this will fit in my kit)
Up to date information.
Well organized with easily accessed information under stress.

Your input is appreciated, TR
Posted by: leemann

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/18/06 06:36 AM

Adventure medical kits has a book perfect for faks about 6 bux or so. comprehensive guide to wilderness and travel medicine by Dr Eric Weiss I think its called.

Lee
Posted by: KenK

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/18/06 05:40 PM

This is what I got to put in my Scout's first aid kits:

FastAct Pocket First Aid Guide

Built to be included in first aid kits, it is really pretty complete and is designed to be used quickly, during the time of need. It is spiral bound at the top and is about 5.3"x3" and quite thin.

Ken K.
Posted by: Rick

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/18/06 09:33 PM

I just got my WFR from these folks at Wilderness Medical Associates. We were give many books for the class but the one we were told "never go anywhere with out it being in are pockets was this one" It's a little bigger than a 3*5 card with a spiral backing. It's water proof and very sturdy. One of the girls dropped hers in the composting toilet at the beginning of the course; and it looked just at new after 10 days at the bottom of the toilet, as it did on the first.
http://wildmed.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...egory_Code=PUBS
Posted by: Rick

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/18/06 09:41 PM

I'm sorry the water proof one is this one.(WMA Wilderness First Aid Guide) There doesn't seen to bea link for it so you could give them a call just to be clear what you want.

Mine live in my Max's pack and is with me all the time.

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/19/06 07:35 AM

Rick and Ken,

I will look into your recommendations. They look like great additions to my smaller FAKs.

leeman, I currently have the "comprehensive guide to wilderness and travel medicine" in my FAK. It is a good recommendation.

I would still like something that is more comprehensive with detailed info. A book more like the Red Cross book (about 300 pages or so), that is more current. This would just be for my large primary FAK.

Thank you, TR

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/19/06 07:50 AM

Rick,

Amazon.com has this available:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0970464622/002-4331972-3348063

TR

Re: First-Aid book? (Desk Reference) - 02/19/06 08:01 AM

I thought I better dig out some of my own manuals and see what I have. I have a small book in my personal FAK called "Wilderness First Aid Manual" By William Forgey. Published by Hart Health and Safety. I am pretty sure this is available through REI. It is a decent pocket manual.

After some of these suggestions I have been doing some more reflecting on my needs. I really like the idea of having a compact, simple, easy to use manual to carry in my FAKs and use "under pressure". I think there are some good solutions here.

I think what I really need is more of a layman's medical desk reference on First-Aid. Something that is more like a comprehensive training guide. Leave it at home and use for self study. Size or quick use is not a requirement. Up to date, and comprehensive is a requirement.

Any thoughts?

Thank you, TR
Posted by: Rusty

Re: First-Aid book? (Desk Reference) - 02/19/06 06:40 PM

I have heard of pocket guides for EMTs that they use for backup incase they need to quickly refrence something. Try looking on an EMT supply site.

This is not just a EMT site but more of a law enforcement site but give it a try.
www.Galls.com
Posted by: 7k7k99

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/20/06 12:57 AM

found these on the Red Cross website

http://www.pcxhost.com/store/st7/tp8/pro...1D5B1A88A1EB3F2

http://www.pcxhost.com/store/st7/tp8/pro...1D5B1A88A1EB3F2

don't know how up to date they are.

are these the ones you have?

the book I carry in my kit is the national safety council first aid handbook that came out in 1995, probably somewhat dated information too
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/20/06 01:26 AM

Quote:
Adventure medical kits has a book perfect for faks about 6 bux or so. comprehensive guide to wilderness and travel medicine by Dr Eric Weiss I think its called.

+1 to this one, an excelent book that is just the right size for a small first aid kit. AMK Website

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/20/06 03:43 AM

7k7k99,

The guides at that site look more like first-aid-lite. The Red Cross used to put out nice, detailed, First-aid handbooks for standard and advanced use. They were commonly used in the First-aid classes I took many years ago. My standard guide is dated 1973. I can't find my advanced guide (it is a bit newer but, still out of date), it was my favorite book for many years. Amazon lists one Red Cross book, but it looks a bit fluffy and is 10 years out of date. I would really like to see a revised edition of the original Advanced manual, but I don't think it will be a reality.

Thanks, TR
Posted by: bmisf

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/20/06 06:02 PM

Quote:
In reply to:

+1 to this one, an excelent book that is just the right size for a small first aid kit.

They just came out with a new 3rd edition, too - I picked it up the other week at the Winter OR show.

The products from Wilderness Medical Associates are also excellent - I'm a WFR and use both the spiral-bound book (excellent illustrations) and the fold-out summary sheet. I'm going to order the waterproof SOAP forms now - hadn't seen those before.

- Steve
Posted by: CJK

Re: First-Aid book? (Desk Reference) - 02/20/06 09:35 PM

Some of those medical quick reference flip books are just that....they're best for people that already have the knowledge and need a quick reference to something to jog their memory.

Yes the older books (from the ARC) do have some dated information BUT do not toss them just yet. I found that they and the older Boy Scout handbook had excellent information. Specifically in regards to how to improvise things (ie. splints, triangular bandages, gauze etc). While some of the MEDICAL information may have changed.....it is the improvisational information that is the real treasure it those books. I have had a hard time finding these older books.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: First-Aid book? - 02/21/06 02:59 PM

As Rick stated, WMA has a number of publications available. They tend to be well written, up-to-date and designed for quick reference in an emergency situation.

Take a look at their First Aid Fold-Out Guide:
Wildreness First AId Fold-Out Guide

Pete