New product may have more uses than picnic blanket

Posted by: etehiver

New product may have more uses than picnic blanket - 07/18/05 05:48 AM

[color:"orange"]*This is not a commercial message* [/color]

While enjoying another afternoon of going to the park, avoiding the damp spots on my "water resistant" picnic blanket, I saw something new. A nearby family had a soft-fabric fold-up sheet which they said kept them dry as they sat on the damp grass.

I picked one up on sale at the drug store on my way home for $9.

I started thinking...

I wonder if anyone here has used these in their kits, even as a comfort item? The 4'9" X 6'5" sheet seems moderately durable, repels water, doesnt feel clammy when you sit on it, and is lightweight (mfr. says it weighs 1lb.) They also sell a larger version.

I'm not trying to sell these sheets, and I have no connection to the manufacturer whatsoever. I just thought it might be a pretty good replacement for something else in a kit. Maybe a replacement for a polarfleece blanket, or plastic (groundcover) sheeting?

I assume they're mostly a seasonal item sold next to sunscreen and beach chairs. They have a website though: The Neat Sheet
Any thoughts on the Neat Sheet's usefulness?
Posted by: MGF

Re: New product may have more uses than picnic blanket - 07/18/05 06:54 AM

Does sound like it would be handy to stow behind the seat of the truck. If I see one, I'll grab one.
Posted by: adam

Re: New product may have more uses than picnic blanket - 07/18/05 12:55 PM

I've used one for a couple of years now. Not sure how it would hold up for real survival use, I think other products are better for survival purposes, but for all around use at the beach and back yards it's been a keeper.

Adam
Posted by: cedfire

Re: New product may have more uses than picnic blanket - 07/18/05 03:08 PM

A relative of mine just loves their "Neat Sheet". Not only is it great to sit on, but apparently it works well at keeping dog hair to a minimum in the back seat, too.