Nylon string versus cotton string

Posted by: Craig

Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 05:08 PM

I just ran comparative tests, and cotton wins.

The reason?

I was using short lengths of string to tie a whistle and compass together. Split rings wouldn't work in this case. The nylon string came undone every f****** time, no matter how tightly I tied the knot. The cotton string stayed tied and is still tied.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 05:10 PM

what knot were you using? Nylon is slipperier than cotton but there are knots that don't depend upon friction to hold.

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 05:29 PM

A plain old ordinary square knot. The nylon string is more slippery than Osama is.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 05:33 PM

Sure you got a square and not a granny? Try a sheet bend knot or adding a couple of 1/2 hitches, one for each tag-end. Sure nylon is slippery but it is still stronger, less vulnerable to water or abrasion. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
Posted by: David

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 05:53 PM

Was the construction of the nylon string laid (i.e., twisted), braided, or kernmantle (braided sheath w/full-length filaments inside--like 550 paracord)? If laid construction, a square won't hold well at all; it's too slippery. Braided or kernmantle seem to hold better, though still can be slippery.

Try tying a figure-8 knot, instead. Even then, if space, usage, & cord permit, a couple of half-hitches on the free ends are a good idea.

I use braided nylon "accessory cord" for small lanyards, & have no problems if I use a figure-8 knot.

Good luck.

David

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 06:40 PM

It was an ordinary twisted type. I have a knot book somewhere...

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 06:41 PM

Ummm...no I'm not sure. I should try it again.

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 06:41 PM

A square knot. I was juggling the cat at the same time, but I think it was a square knot.
Posted by: gear_freak

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 07:25 PM

Maybe Craig had some of the Elven rope given to the Hobbits by the Lady of the Wood? Sorry, I;'ve been watching the Two Towers DVD.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/19/03 08:09 PM

This sailor recommends using a single or double becket bed.The knot is also known as a sheet bend.
BOATMAN
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/21/03 07:17 PM

Wrong knot. Square knot (AKA "reef knot" for sailors or "package knot" to many old folks) should not be used to fasten ends together . I wish we would quit teaching it as a first knot to Scouts. It is actually a fairly specialized knot that is a poor choice for general applications. Fine knot for securing reefed sails (I guess - not a sailor) or starting off western-style spar lashings...

For what you are doing I also would not use the sheet bend (beckett) family, although they excel at many general things involving joining various ends together and some specialized uses.

Instead, I suggest that you use a fisherman's or (nicer looking) a double fisherman's - they carry alternative names, depending on user and region. In small laid cord that will be a permanent knot unless you are really desperate to untie it. If using really slippery stuff like Spectra or monfilament, stick to the double version, but if you learn to tie the single version first, it is easier to learn the double IMHO. Once snug, you may safely trim the tag ends quite short - as close as 3 cord diameters in accessory cord, although I err a bit on the side of caution. Looks 'factory made" in small accessory cord.

Get some 2mm accessory cord and it will hold up much better in your pocket - the laid nylon gets all pilled and fuzzy after several months use. I have plenty of uses for the laid nylon twine - not knocking it, especially as cheap as it is.

The double fisherman's is what I always use for your application - and some similar "large" items with 7mm - 8mm accesssory cord.

Let me know if you cannot find an illustration of how to tie a double fisherman's.

Regards,

Tom

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/21/03 09:40 PM

Thank you.

I have a reference card on knots...somewhere in the wreckage known as my half of the bedroom. Grin. If I can't find it I'll give a holler.

Craig
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/21/03 10:49 PM

Many examples here is one.

You may use a triple if you prefer, but this is usually enough.

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/22/03 01:32 PM

Thanks, dude. I appreciate it. Is there anything like this in a PDF file that folds down to wallet size?
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/23/03 12:44 AM

Tom hit the nail on the head. The double fisherman is reliable, strong, stays tied and can be untied in nylon.

I use a piece of 2 mm sheathed nylon as a keychain, held together with a double fisherman. Perfect.
Posted by: dchinell

Re: Nylon string versus cotton string - 09/23/03 09:55 PM

I'd also recommend a Hunter's Bend. I use it in paracord all the time. There are several different approaches to making the bend, but the one I use is dead simple.

Bear