Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight

Posted by: Tom_L

Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/21/15 06:52 PM

There is certainly no shortage of good flashlights these days but the market has been moving toward "tacticool" palm-sized LED lights for a while. I have a few of those and they serve their purpose well. But I'm beginning to see the need for a bigger, heavier light with a good lumen output.

Back in the old days when Maglites were all the rage I remember the bigger models were quite popular (4 or 6 D-cell type). Personally, I would prefer not to go back to Xenon bulbs but I see Maglite has updated their range with a new 3 D-cell LED flashlight that might fit the bill. It's just the right size and if it's anywhere near as robust as the older models it should be fine.

Does anyone have any experience with those new "full-sized" LED Maglites? Or any other similar product in the same price range more or less?
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/21/15 07:10 PM

How about the Thrunite TN35;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A4D3..._1_2&sr=8-2
Posted by: Alex

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/21/15 07:30 PM

I'm using TerraLUX drop-ins in my 4-D and 5-D Maglites with great success for many years. Piercing the night better than my car's long beam.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/21/15 07:30 PM

Maglites are still a great brute light, especially with the LED option. Streamlight still has a number of good brute light models in production. I have a wicked laser Maglite type flashlight that has an incandescent in it that is as bright as an aircraft running light.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/21/15 08:06 PM

Cool, gives me some food for thought. And a good laugh, too - "brute light", heck, that sums it up really well!

Right now I'm leaning toward the new LED Maglite. I really like the ability to run on cheap and commonly available D-cells. The Thrunite looks interesting but it's a little too short for my liking.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/21/15 08:06 PM

What do you want to do with the flashlight? You mention wanting a "bigger, heavier light." Do you want to use it to bash someone? If so, maybe you can clarity on length and other data based on how you intend to hurt someone with it.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/21/15 08:35 PM

If you already have a 2-3 D Maglite, I recommend getting a TerraLux MiniStar5 140 Lumen LED. Drops in like a bulb replacement, much less fragile than an incandescent bulb and your batteries last much longer.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/22/15 12:54 AM

Nah, the ultimate Maglite solution is MiniStar31: http://www.shopterralux.com/terralux-tle-310m-ex-ministar31m-ex-led-conversion-kit/ 3 brightness modes. I love it (have an older model though).
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/22/15 02:37 AM

I have a couple of the 2D LED Maglights that work well, and you can focus them...pic is a modification from the 2004 power outage, when I was habitually misplacing it... clips to key snap

I've become a fan of the SolarForce light modules and tubes... my current flame thrower is the M3 head on a 2x123 L2 body... a +1 extension is in the mail... I have a Malkoff conversion in my old Surefire 6P with my pistol, but XM L2 U2 SolarForce modules in the rest of the G2s and L2Ms and L2Ns

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/22/15 03:38 AM

The Fenix TK60 is a 3-4 D cell flashlight;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055OD0PI?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JF2u4VDmbk
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/22/15 05:11 AM

Unless you do plan to use it as a weapon (perhaps because you can carry it in non-permissive environments)then I can't fathom why larger and heavier would be a good thing. Unless it has to be an impact weapon I would rather have a 3 x CR123A light.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/22/15 12:09 PM

There evidently are two flavors of "tactical" light - the flashlight as baton and the super bright (1000+ lumens)light which will confuse and disorient your opponent. This latter often sports a dazzle function.

Neither is as good as the real thing. LAPD specifically disallows the use of a light as a baton....
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/23/15 11:43 PM

I'm quite happy with my Blackshadow Terminator, I use it as a portable floodlight for scenes and on the river, and while it's optimized for flood it's an outstanding thrower by virtue of it's sheer output.

The Thrunite TN series (I can't remember but one is optimized for throw, the other for flood) are also very well received if you're looking to spend a little more.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/24/15 03:19 PM

I certainly do not need another flashlight (plenty of Surefires and Fenix), but yesterday I ordered LL Bean's new "retro" LED flashlight. Only 200 lumens, but once upon a time that was pretty good.

Takes two "D" batteries, seven hour runtime. Metal body.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88820?feat=flashlight-SR0&page=retro-led-flashlight

A 1950s-style, metal-bodied flashlight with a modern 200-lumen LED bulb.

Vintage style features a rugged metal body

Bright LED bulb never needs replacing

Runs up to 7 hours on two D batteries, not included

This retro flashlight looks just like the one your grandfather used. It features the modern technology of a superbright LED bulb that will light your way for thousands of hours. Use it at camp, in the tent or as a backup light at home. Vintage style features a rugged metal body. Easy-to-use power button. Runs up to 7 hours on two D batteries, not included. Imported.

Dimensions 8" x 1.5" diam.

Posted by: hikermor

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/24/15 04:37 PM

200 lumens is still 200 lumens and is a light source that is perfectly adequate for most tasks. The lumens race is rather silly, although it is nice to have variable outputs available for those occasions when one really needs 1000+.

On a day to day basis, what really comes in handy, IMHO, is protracted run time....., the more the better.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/24/15 05:09 PM

Ya but... A major reason I like the TerrsLux drop-in LED bulbs is this line in their write-up
Quote:
... contain the TerraLUX LED Light Engine, so it maintains a constant light output over the life of the batteries. ...
That tells me that the LED bulb has a voltage regulator or something similar to maintain lumen output. An unregulated LED can still have very good life and is not fragile, but voltage regulation helps get the most out of your batteries.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight - 10/25/15 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Dagny

I certainly do not need another flashlight (plenty of Surefires and Fenix), but yesterday I ordered LL Bean's new "retro" LED flashlight. Only 200 lumens, but once upon a time that was pretty good.

Takes two "D" batteries, seven hour runtime. Metal body.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88820?feat=flashlight-SR0&page=retro-led-flashlight

[color:#3333FF]A 1950s-style, metal-bodied flashlight with a modern 200-lumen LED bulb.

Vintage style features a rugged metal body

Bright LED bulb never needs replacing

Runs up to 7 hours on two D batteries, not included

I don't mean to knock that light; if styling and appearance is important that light looks cool. But I don't like D-Cells compared to CR123a. They're expensive for the power they provide, their self discharge rate is higher than CR123A, their shelf life is shorter and they don't work as well in the cold. They are much larger and heavier as well. Seven hours runtime isn't great for two cells. While it's not as bright my Pelican Nemo has good output and 50+ hours on 3 x C-Cells. And it's easy to find a light that takes 3 x CR123a that run for 10+ hours.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
200 lumens is still 200 lumens and is a light source that is perfectly adequate for most tasks. The lumens race is rather silly, although it is nice to have variable outputs available for those occasions when one really needs 1000+.

On a day to day basis, what really comes in handy, IMHO, is protracted run time....., the more the better.

For EDC/daily use I agree that sheer lumens isn't the biggest issues. Candela is more important, and form factor is bigger still. The light should be the right size and durable enough to stand up to use & storage. Max light output is irrelevant if the light is broken.