question on vacuum sealers

Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

question on vacuum sealers - 04/23/12 02:59 PM

Will the low end vacuum sealers from Wal-Mart and Target seal any old polyethylene bag, or is there something special about the vacuum bags they're meant to be used with?

I don't care about the vacuum part, I just want to be able to seal custom bags from pieces of polyethylene or cut-down ZipLocs.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/23/12 03:13 PM

Probably. It depends a bit on the thickness. You'll probably just have to try on a case by case basis. I found that some bags will melt to much and stick to the sealing bar. If by chance your sealer has a provision to adjust the sealing bar voltage/time that would help.
Posted by: thseng

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/23/12 04:40 PM

If you're not interested in vacuum, look into a "Impulse Bag Sealer". I purchased a perfectly good one from Harbor Freight for much less than shipping supply companies like Uline were asking. Works with most any poly bag.

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/23/12 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: thseng
If you're not interested in vacuum, look into a "Impulse Bag Sealer". I purchased a perfectly good one from Harbor Freight for much less than shipping supply companies like Uline were asking. Works with most any poly bag.

Actually, after thinking a bit more I was just coming back to say this! grin So I agree 100%. I haven't used many of them but if you don't need to vacuum they should perform the task well.

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/24/12 04:10 AM

Looking at impulse bag sealers on Amazon.com, they cost as much or more as the low end vacuum sealers available locally. Returning the unit is a lot easier locally if things don't work out, I'll see what happens.

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/24/12 04:17 AM

What size of items do you wish to seal?

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/24/12 03:28 PM

Smaller stuff like fire kits, medical things, etc. Also I have seen some heavy duty zip bags that I'd like to resize by sealing them in the middle somewhere then cutting off the bottom.

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/24/12 04:28 PM

All good applications for a sealer.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/24/12 06:36 PM

OK, this is Chisel here, trying to "chisel" this thread into something else. LOL.

Just have a question about vacuum ( since vacuum is left out by the OP). Say, I want to go the McGyverish way. Can I use my vaccum cleaner to vacuum something like a bag ?? Off course, it won't seal the bag, but with ziplock and some duct tape, just maybe.

What do you think ??
Posted by: darby_designer

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/25/12 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
OK, this is Chisel here, trying to "chisel" this thread into something else. LOL.

Just have a question about vacuum ( since vacuum is left out by the OP). Say, I want to go the McGyverish way. Can I use my vaccum cleaner to vacuum something like a bag ?? Off course, it won't seal the bag, but with ziplock and some duct tape, just maybe.

What do you think ??

Yes

Look up Vacuum Forming. There are a lot of options for this using a shop-vac.
This is big in the RC and Slot Car hobby for making lexan bodies.

You could also make your own clamshell plastic cases, blisters packs, and such.

Darby
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/26/12 06:31 PM

Keep in mind that standard polyethylene bags are somewhat gas permeable and thus a vacuum will not last very long. Nevertheless, some vacuum is better than none.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/26/12 07:31 PM

Hey Glock. I've done this with the old Dazey models. They may still be available in retail stores but I buy mine at thrift shops, use them till they die and throw them away. I've experimented with various blags and plastics and have found that barring the real bags meant for the unit that the heavy clear plastic in big rools from the hardware store works best. Hope this helps.

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/26/12 10:24 PM

I've been sealing chemical fire stuff in mylar with good results. Hopefully a few ETS'ers will chime in with some results down the road when they've had a chance to test them.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/27/12 03:24 AM

Phaedrus graciously sent me some of his packages about a month ago. I put two (one containing a block of Esbit and another a chunk of Weber fire starter) in the bag I am carrying daily to work and about. The packaging is absolutely tough; I just dug them out and there is no sign of wear or abrasion. I will probably pass them on to my grandchildren.

Re: question on vacuum sealers - 04/27/12 03:55 AM

Try a couple, then pass the rest along! grin