Bag in a Bag

Posted by: bacpacjac

Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
One thing I have added to my kits is a small, packable backpack. I attach it if there is not room in the PSK container. My PSKs are so tightly packed that once you pull things out, it is tough to get it all back in. I use the Kiva Keychain backpack, and they come in various colors. My kids' PSKs have orange Kivas. The backpack also aids in collecting useful materials or foraging for edibles. I have recently acquired a Sea to Summit keychain back pack which is just as small packed as the Kiva, but holds a bit more and is more durable.

I've been thinking of adding a bag to my kits for carrying gear, foraged edibles and firestarting materials, and perhaps water. I like Montenaro's suggestion of a packable backpack, and have also been eyeing a Maxpedition Rolly Polly bag.

Any advice or suggestions?
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 01:07 PM

The Rolly Polly bag is good, Sea to Summit makes a packable daypack that is very small. There are a larger number of "packable daypacks" out there now, but none as small as the Kiva, Rolly Polly or Sea to Summit. it depends on how much space you have to store it.
Posted by: powerring

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 02:28 PM

Try the LL Bean Stowaway or Pocket Daypack. I have the older verison of the Stowaway and it's surprisingly tough. Eddie Bauer makes a similar one that folds into a self-contained pocket.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 03:02 PM

If you search ( drawstring backpack ) on You Tube, you'll get a ton of clips, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG8KAYwGScs

There are even clips that show you how to make them yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFl9hUpR3hU

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 03:06 PM

I have a few of the L. L. Bean ones, and my kids carry them in their backpacks when camping to have a nice daypack to carry around instead of a full backpack. they don't pack down nearly as small as the Kiva or Sea to Summit, but are much more functional and durable. I have some Marmot and other varieties, they are nice, but do not pack nearly as small as the Kiva. If you are looking for pocket size EDC, the Kiva and Sea to Summit are the best I have found so far. OR makes one you can buy at Walmart for $5 or $6 that packs very small as well.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 04:11 PM

I think this line of thought is smart and can prove quite useful.

Back in the day, both Kelty and North Face made waist/fanny/lumbar packs that converted into daypacks. A zipped compartment contained the upper pack body and some flat shoulder straps. It was pretty cool but I don't think they're around anymore. In recent years Maxpedition made something similar called the Lochsa pack. It was bulky and heavy, like most Maxped products, and I think they discontinued it.

As long as such a pack's weight/bulk fit your profile it could be a very versatile setup. It would be awesome to have one sewn up with modern materials.

I found some photos of the Kelty item on a Japanese website:

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 04:29 PM

Thanks so much guys!

The more I think about it, I realize that I'm actually after 2 bags. 1 to go in my EDC purse and the other for my wilderness kit.

I carry a packable reusable shopping bag in my purse. It has big handles so I can carry it on a shoulder uner an arm, but I would rather have something with proper shoulder straps and a drawstring closure. Something I could throw a jacket or sweater into, or carry groceries more comfortably.

For my wilderness kit, want something that I can wear on my belt, around my waist or that will attach to my pack, so I can forage as I go, without taking off my pack.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 04:45 PM

REI has the Flash 18 and the "Stuff Travel Pack" for about 30 bucks. For years I have used a Lowe Alpine Attack Summit (how's that for a hairy chested, macho name?) in a variety of ways, including carry on when flying and as a stuff sack that converts to a day pack for side trips when backpacking. A pack of this type is really versatile and handy in many ways.

One might be dubious about the comfort of the mesh straps featured by most packs of this type, but they are surprisingly comfortable, even when slightly overloaded.
Posted by: comms

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 06:19 PM

Like your thinking. I usually carry gallon and 2.5 gallon zip lock bags and a S2S waterproof bag but not a separate pack. Though I stash a drawstring bag in my front console. I suppose a tight compact bag might fit as well in my EDC backpack
Posted by: Lono

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 06:34 PM

I like the look of that Kelty sling pack. For almost any hike of distance I also carry an Outdoor Research summit sack, http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/drycomp-summit-sack-chili-1size-us.html, waterproof, not bulky and light enough to go in another bag. I use it for shorter hikes where my full pack is extraneous, and filling with clothing etc when I want to make doubly sure they stay dry. I find it best for bulky but not heavy items, it doesn't have nearly as much padding or suspension support as a regular pack, but you can sling the summit sack over your other pack, or carry it for a while as a chest-carry sack - although that works best for shorter distances, not a whole hike: situations such as you're toting some gear for a hapless younger Scout who overpacked.

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 07:58 PM

Ooooh! I didn't know there is a backpack version of the rollypoly. I'll have to check the out. I like the rollypoly because I can attach it and forage as I go without having to take off my pack. Having one that i could use as a pack as well would be great for my wilderness kit!

I saw that packable pack video on your site Izzy, and am going to check it out too! Thanks Izzy!

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 08:00 PM

You guys ROCK! Thanks for all the great ideas!! Much to consider.... A shopping I shall go!
Posted by: frediver

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 08:40 PM

Ya'all have more money than I do.
Imo if you want something small then why not just add
longer strings to a stuff bag and tie them to the bottom
corners of that bag? If you are only using this as a carry
along secondary bag then odd's are you will not be
putting much more than 5-10lbs max and the string straps
should not be an issue. If you do find them uncomfortable
then why not thread on a couple pc's of tubular webbing to
spread the load. Many times you can find these bags as
promotional giveaways.
OR buy a mesh bag of the size you like and tie or sew on
a single long string or web strap and carry it like a shoulder
messenger bag.

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/06/12 11:52 PM

Great ideas Fred. Using a stuff sack or mesh bag are definitely options I'm considering. I'm all for the inexpensive options! I'm currently using plastic shopping bags in my wilderness kit and want something more substantial that won't rip and be tough enough for multiple uses.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/07/12 01:45 AM

I carry my E&E kit in a small wheeled bag. Inside is a small daypack (Camelback), and a Messenger Bag. I carry my "Watch Bag" which is another Messenger Bag.

If I needed it, I dump everything in my "Watch Bag" except for my licenses and the survival type items that are normally stored in it. I distribute the survival gear between the Camel Back and the two Messenger Bags.

I link the two Messenger Bags together and sling them like a Haversack and then put on the CamelBack. I tie a couple of blankets onto the Camel Back and get moving.

I tried this arrangement out on a 14mile hike and overnight camping trip and refined it to ride well on my shoulders.

It was that trip that I decided Bota Bags for water storage disdn't ride worth a flip on the trail unless they were inside of the bags (which creates more problems) which is why I will now save them for attending festivals, etc.

I basically keep Daypacking gear in the Camel Back so I don't have to make a big transition to leave the camp and carry a daypack with me. The Camelback is ready to be used solo for daypacking once we have set up our camp.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/07/12 03:17 AM

Bacpac:

Check the MEC website for some small backpack for wilderness ideas. I have the MEC Ridgemont Daypack that has a 14L capacity and it compresses into a stuff sack (sold separately) down to a size smaller in height but a bit wider then a standard 1L Nalgene bottle.

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/07/12 03:34 AM

Thanks Wildman and Teslinhiker. I'll check those out!
Posted by: SARbound

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/07/12 08:55 PM

I use the Arc'teryx Cierzo 18, very lightweight, no top flap but still pretty water resistant (it has a small rubber piece that covers the hole).

Compressible and super light. It has a front pocker, removable sternum and waist straps. I've trolled around Boston with it for a few days and it worked fine.

Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/07/12 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
REI has the Flash 18 and the "Stuff Travel Pack" for about 30 bucks.

I'll second the REI Flash 18. I have a couple of these over the years. These are great; relatively cheap, durable and versatile. You can find them for less than $20 right now.

http://www.rei.com/product/778466/rei-flash-18-pack

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/08/12 01:05 AM

Thanks SAR and Alan. I like the look of that!

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/11/12 01:27 PM

I just received the Chicobag. It packs down to half the size of the L L Bean, about twice the size of the Kiva. It has nice features like side water bottle pockets and a place to attach items to the bottom. It comes with 2 small biners for attaching to other things, and a sternum strap. It cost $28.00, more than the Kiva and about the same as the L L Bean. I like it.

Re: Bag in a Bag - 01/11/12 07:21 PM

Sounds nice Montenaro. Thanks for the tip!