resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales

Posted by: TeacherRO

resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/08/11 05:11 PM

resqlink announcement

No affiliation. Just want
Posted by: celler

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/19/11 11:28 PM

I've always liked ACR, but they really fell behind when McMurdo put out the Fast Find 210, which is what I own. I'll wait to see a review from Doug to see how this stacks up against the Fast Find 210 prior to considering any changes.
Posted by: rafowell

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: celler
... I'll wait to see a review from Doug to see how this stacks up against the Fast Find 210 prior to considering any changes.

Doug has promised a full review when they are available, but Doug's impression of a pre-production unit was favorable.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 06:07 PM

Just rec'd from ACR:

ACR Electronics is proud to announce we have received our FCC Approval on the World's Smallest Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - The ResQLink.
Posted by: Russ

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 07:14 PM

Doug -- Can you recommend a vendor?
Posted by: KenK

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: rafowell

I hope that's not just a really really big hand!

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK

Me too. Looking forward to seeing it side by side with the McMurdo unit.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Doug -- Can you recommend a vendor?

Same piece of equipment no matter who you buy from. Same advice I always give. Buy on total price, delivered in your hands, from a vendor you trust. Make sure they have it in stock.

There are a few vendors who support ETS in the Marketplace section, and I'm sure they'd appreciate your business.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: celler

Me too. Looking forward to seeing it side by side with the McMurdo unit.

The differences are not huge. When they say smallest, they are talking by only a small margin. It is more of a "box."

Posted by: cfraser

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 11:24 PM

OK, so size isn't a reason to choose one over the other. What is? Thanks.

I was inclined towards the FastFind for price and local availability.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/21/11 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: cfraser
OK, so size isn't a reason to choose one over the other. What is? Thanks.

I was inclined towards the FastFind for price and local availability.

The ResQLink is the clear winner, IMO. I will be replacing my Fastfind with the ResQLink: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=284

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 12:03 AM

^ Thanks Doug. But really, I did not see a compelling reason to point me to the ResQLink. Did I miss it? Having both of the units in hand and actually using might show obvious diffs, but I can't do that. Heck, I don't think I could even test them to see how they work around here, blind faith (makes me uneasy).

It's not like I'm a professional pilot, though I am a pilot, this is only for "casual" mostly land personal use. The FastFind is ~$200 around here.

Edit: The FastFind is $225 here now. If the ResQLink had a user-replaceable battery, that alone would sway me...I'm checking for that now...

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: cfraser
^ Thanks Doug. But really, I did not see a compelling reason to point me to the ResQLink. Did I miss it? Having both of the units in hand and actually using might show obvious diffs, but I can't do that. Heck, I don't think I could even test them to see how they work around here, blind faith (makes me uneasy).

It's not like I'm a professional pilot, though I am a pilot, this is only for "casual" mostly land personal use. The FastFind is ~$200 around here.

Edit: The FastFind is $225 here now. If the ResQLink had a user-replaceable battery, that alone would sway me...I'm checking for that now...

To each his own. If least expensive is your requirement, get the Fastfind.
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 01:25 AM

Posted by: sotto

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 02:00 AM

Smallest? Where would we all be without Marketing to put a little daily smile on our faces? ;-)

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
To each his own. If least expensive is your requirement, get the Fastfind.

I realized I may have given that impression, but actually I only mentioned price to show that was NOT a consideration in the comparison since they are expected to be very close.

I didn't want to take too much of your time by getting into my "personal" details as I know you're always so busy, especially lately. Where I was actually coming from is that the FastFind is easily available locally NOW. Whereas, best I can find out but I'm not positive, is that the ResQLink is not yet approved in Canada. So...was there a compelling reason I should wait for the ResQLink, or not. I will follow the ResQLink experiences here, since I'm not planning to need rescue for a few more months anyway...

Now that I think about it, the user-replaceable battery thing is a red herring. As a bit of a battery person I actually do understand why they don't have this, at this point. The FastFind is effectively disposable, based on a battery replacement cost quoted to another Canadian owner, and I don't see it getting cheaper in a few years.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder

Wow!!! Look at the size of those quarters!

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 11:09 AM

I do have to say - and I believe that Doug had a hand in it - that the new PLBs are much easier to use - that things would be less confusing in a time of severe stress.

I found my Terrafix 406 to be somewhat confusing - I could see that under stress I might have doubts about whether I was using it correctly. As I remember I have to press two buttons - I think its a Test button and a GPS button at the same time for a few seconds. What's with that? It would feel like that was just launching a test sequence.

As I recall it would flash a red LED, then green ... or something like that. I always thought that the red LED would make me think I was doing something wrong - like an error warning, and that would lead me to wonder if it was even working. The newer models are much more straight forward.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 12:00 PM

I've not studied the differences between the two the way Doug has, but it would appear that one major difference between the two is ACR's 406 Link Service. Also ACR does have a spotless record in this area. As I do not plan on using the check-in capabilities on my PLB (I have a Spot 2 I received as a gift that I use for that), I'm going to stick with the Fast Find 210 at least until its battery expiration. Although it may seem silly carrying two devices, I just do not like using the battery capacity on the life-saver device for non-emergency traffic and if PLB standards remain that a non-user replaceable battery is standard, I'm not likely to change my mind.
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 12:35 PM

I will stay with my fast find as well for now until by battery is almost out. I like the resqlink and I don't use the service that you have to pay for the text. The size difference is not significantly noticeable,the one hand feature is nice and a little more battery life is good but to toss my fastfind for that when it still is good is not something I would do at this time however when it's time to change the batteries I will do the switch.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/22/11 12:49 PM

In the other thread, falcon5000 posted some vendors, quoted below:

ETA: 07/22/11 is today -- imagine that. Does anyone have experience with these vendors?

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/26/11 08:35 PM

Hopefully, one day soon the retailers above will have the resqlink in stock -- but not today.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/26/11 11:26 PM

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/acr375plb.html

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/27/11 06:07 PM

Just got a flier from the people that sold me my Montana that they have the new ACR in stock if any one wants one. I still have some battery time on my fastfind so it may be awhile. I'm only on my 2nd renewal with mine. When my batteries go down then I'll be ready, good luck..........

http://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-ResQLink-2880-Personal-Locator-Beacon-P2719.aspx

ACR 2880 ResQLink Personal Locator Beacon
Small, rugged and ready for any adventure, the ACR ResQLink 2880 PLB makes sure that help is just the push of a button away.
SKU#:AC2880 MAN#:2880 ID#:2719
Our Price: $267.95
Availability: In Stock
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 07/28/11 09:27 AM

ResQLink's brochure lists these parts:
#9521 Flotation Pouch
#9522 Dive Canister

I can't find any more info on these items. I imagine the dive canister is going to be similar to the one available for the FastFind, but I'd like to find out more about the construction and dimensions. If anyone comes across any specifications for these addons please post them up.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 08/01/11 02:52 PM

Thanks for the thegpsstore.com link. My resqlink is now on order. It should arrive before my next flight. I ordered the Flotation Pouch too; cold wet hands have a tendency to drop things.

Edit: Typed too soon. The thegpsstore does not have the ResQLink in stock; it's backordered despite the website stating "Usually Ships in 2-3 Days".
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 08/01/11 06:05 PM

Just received mine, and I am heading out tomorrow for three weeks in the mountains. I hope I don't need it, but will let you all know how it went if I do use it.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 09/04/11 08:59 PM

Anyone have one of these and willing to review it?

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 09/05/11 11:52 AM

I was kinda of waiting for Doug to review it. I know he gave a preliminary review but was expecting a in depth review. I am surprised nobody has given any review on it with all the hype. The only take I keep getting out of it is it is compared to a box with a clip that could snag on cloths. But I would like someone as well to do a good review as well.

Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales - 09/05/11 01:07 PM

DR's preliminary review is probably the best available at this point, but I do have a couple comments.

I have a ResQLink PLB in my flight bag wearing a float coat. When my new Switlik vest arrives (tomorrow??) it will have a separate Molle cellphone pocket for the ResQLink so it should be very easy to access. That said, to activate it, the float coat needs to come off so the PLB will still be tied onto the vest.

For carry in dry places, check out cell phone cases from Maxpedition or elsewhere. It's about that size.

I like the ergonomics. The antenna wraps around the case and covers the activation switch. Looks like a well thought out, mature design -- an evolutionary downsizing of previous ACR PLB's.

$.02