Source for small sturdy zip lock bags?

Posted by: acropolis5

Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 05:25 PM

Does anyoneone know of a source for small but sturdy zip lock bags? Size range: 1 x 2", 2 x 3", 3 X 5". Thickness: 2-6 mils. My search turns up sources, but only in 1000 bag lots. I want 20-50 of each.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 05:41 PM

Could swear I bought some itty-bitty zip-locks at REI -- in the section where they have an array of small plastic bottles. Don't know how thick they were.

Not yet finding them on their website.

Will post a link if I can find one
Posted by: Susan

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 05:49 PM

American Science & Surplus has five sizes of small bags from 1"x1" to 3"x4". I don't know the thickness, but they are fairly sturdy -- much heavier and they would be difficult to manipulate. They come by 100, but they're so cheap that you would be wasting time trying to find smaller amounts.

American Science & Surplus plastic bags

(If this link doesn't go directly to the bags, just type 'zip bags' in the very upper right search box and they will come up.

Sue
Posted by: frediver

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 06:20 PM

Tap plastics has them and perhaps your local "smoke" shop, Ha-Ha.
REI does have them in most stores but perhaps not online.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 06:22 PM

The small ziplock bags I've bought from bepreparedtosurvive have worked out very well for me.

You can buy packs of 10.

Two sizes in 4 mil; one size in 2 mil.

No affiliation ... happy customer.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 07:04 PM

ULINE corp

I needed a bunch (say 100) - ended up buying a box of 1000 from them, cheap enough

Posted by: Kris

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 07:13 PM

About half way down in lots of 10.

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Misc.Conatiners.htm
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 09:00 PM

If you want them odds are someone else does to.

You might buy the 1000 and resell them. Possibly making most or all of your original investment back. You may also find that once you have them you use far more than you originally anticipate.
Posted by: AndrewC

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 09:10 PM

Has anyone tried the Aloksaks in a high-friction environment? I found carrying things double-bagged in standard Ziplocs in my lifejacket pocket wore through both bags in less than an hour.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/14/10 10:15 PM

I buy them in 100 count rolls in various sizes at an independent hardware store near my folks, and I've seen them at wally world and various craft stores. 2mil is NOT all that heavy, but once you reinforce it with book or clear packing tape it's pretty robust. Or duct tape.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/15/10 01:49 AM

2Mil? 2 Mil is a LIGHTWEIGHT bag

Uline sells bags up to 8Mil! 2 Mil is the lightest they sell - I bought a box of the 2x3 inch 2 Mil for what I needed - a whopping $10 for the thousand - aka a penny a bag
Posted by: LED

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/15/10 06:41 AM

The Container Store sells packs of (10) 4 mil bags for around $1. Sizes are 2.5x3, 3x5, and 4x6. I think you can purchase them on the website as well. Great for storing all sorts of stuff. AA batteries fit perfectly in the 2.5x3 bags.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/15/10 09:38 AM

I think you can find those at Party Supply stores.
Posted by: BigToe

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/15/10 01:25 PM

For heavy duty 2"x3" zip-locks, I use the Pill Pouch bags from Walgreens.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/15/10 02:18 PM

Thank-you to all for such a quick response. I will definitely be following-up.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/15/10 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BigToe
For heavy duty 2"x3" zip-locks, I use the Pill Pouch bags from Walgreens.

I picked up a package of those a couple years ago and they are nice heavy material, don't know what weight but they are sturdy, none of mine have failed and I've used some multiple times. They came in a package of 30 or 50 and less than $3. Even have a place in white on the side of each bag to write what's inside or date etc. Great for anything that might leak too, like batteries or tubs of ointments. Riteaid also sells them.
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/16/10 01:33 PM

Lots of good sources listed. Here's another:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...ck2BRxx4g3kkMtQ
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/17/10 05:01 AM

I have bought many of the cheapie 2 mil. 2x3's,100 per pack at Wally world (in the notions dept.),for like $1.50,throw a strip of clear packing tape around it,& 2mil becomes 6mil or better!
Posted by: aloha

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/17/10 05:32 AM

Originally Posted By: AndrewC
Has anyone tried the Aloksaks in a high-friction environment? I found carrying things double-bagged in standard Ziplocs in my lifejacket pocket wore through both bags in less than an hour.

I use Aloksaks and like them. I have carried various items in them in a cargo pocket or even the rear pocket of swim trunks. I usually even have a SAK (Vic executive in it) and the Aloksak is usually folded over to reduce the size. I even fold over the closure and have had no problems. After hours in the water, everything inside is bone dry.

Once I took my kids to play in a water park type place and it was in my back packet of my swim trunks. We went down various slides over and over all day. Then we went kayaking in the ocean. End of the day...dry.

Sometimes I worry that the closure doesn't seem too secure, but not a drop of water has gotten in. And I reuse the original one over and over. It hasn't failed me yet. I use a newer one to hold my iPhone for hiking ad camping.
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/17/10 03:46 PM

Joanne Fabrics stores have these in store and on-line in 3 sizes: http://www.joann.com/joann/search/search...equestid=279552

Michael's Crafts have the same, but only in the stores:
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=bd0604
Posted by: comms

Re: Source for small sturdy zip lock bags? - 06/17/10 03:48 PM

I carry my Nook book reader in a large Aloksak. I am always tossing it in a backpack or in between file folders in my laptop case. Lots of friction and no problems. Spendy but resilient.