nice stainless steel water bottle

Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 01:47 PM

Hey guys, I ran across this stainless steel water bottle at a local outfitter. It has turned out to perform well.

- 304 stainless steel
- 18oz capacity (other sizes available too)
- wide mouth opening
- heavy duty silicone gasket on cap
- silicone valve on cap allows vacuum-free sipping
- retainer on cap
- reasonably lightweight

I got the plain stainless model, not the colored version. I got the "sport cap" which has a click-open sip valve; no leaks so far. I'm using it for EDC and thought it would be good to have a water container that can be heated on the fire if necessary (remove the plastic cap first, of course). The wide opening has proven useful for icecubes and easy cleaning.

It is not apparent in the photos but the spout cover on the "sport cap" clicks positively onto the top valve and keeps the cap retained to prevent dropping it.

Posted by: Stu

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 02:07 PM

I have a bunch of the `40oz'ers. I love them. They also will fit the cups and cooksets that a 32oz negelene bottle fits.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 02:16 PM

Interesting, any reason other than being able to put direct flame under them than sticking with nalgene?

-Todd

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 02:25 PM

Tired of hearing about all the plastic chemical crap, and they hold ~8oz more
Posted by: comms

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 02:33 PM

I bought my friend one of those for his birthday, gosh, six years ago. He thought it was a gag-type gift and sat on his desk unused. Now it one of his favorite water bottles.
Posted by: BobS

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 02:34 PM

I will say they look nice, but I don’t see any need to for me to switch from Nalgene. The Nalgene bottles are very resistant to dents (unlike metal ones) and have served me well for many years.

I do use a Swiss brand metal one for denatured alcohol for a few backpacking stoves.

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Interesting, any reason other than being able to put direct flame under them than sticking with nalgene?

That's the main reason I tried it out. I have water purification tabs in my EDC but I thought it might be nice to have the option to boil water or make a hot drink in the bottle. It lets me avoid having to carry a separate metal pot/cup. I have some of these pouches in my EDC bag for holding more water.

The smooth 304 stainless is about as inert as you can get, too.
Posted by: Susan

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 05:08 PM

Is this Kleen Kantene single-walled or double?

Sue
Posted by: Russ

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 05:13 PM

Single
Posted by: Susan

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 05:16 PM

Great! Thanks for the quick reply.

Sue
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 05:25 PM

My concern is, how much do they weigh? My pack is heavy enough as it is.

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 05:45 PM

The 40 oz Klean Kanteen weighs 10.5 oz empty.

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
The 40 oz Klean Kanteen weighs 10.5 oz empty.

Nalgene bottles weight 2178-Series Wide-Mouth, Loop-Top, Gray/Colored, Polycarbonate (PC) 32oz. .33 lbs. 5.28 ounces Roughly 1/2 of a Kleen Kanteen. The Kleen Kanteen is worth the weight,IMHO.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 07:15 PM

I have two titanium cups in my bag. Super light, one for boiling water and one for eating and/or drinking out of. My stove fits right inside and protects it, plus it's fuel. Kind of sill for me not to have a titanium cup that fits so perfectly and adds so little weight smile I`m not to concerned about BOB weight as mine is almost all modular, so I can remove packs and pass on to a friend or leave one at camp, etc. I`ve also hiked with mine, not to bad, it's <30lbs too.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 09:29 PM

I've looked at them over the years, and borrowed my brother's, but I've got to admit to liking the Guyoet stainless bottles better. Fells better in the hand, they don't have the neck so they are easier to clean, and they use the defacto standard thread of the large mouth Nalgenes- even easier to fill. And the cap is neigh on indestructable.

And it is looking like they are going to partner with Nalgene, so they're both doing something right.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 10:18 PM

Are they made in China? Any lead in the steal from recycling efforts there?
Posted by: Grouch

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
And it is looking like they are going to partner with Nalgene, so they're both doing something right.

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/WaterContainers.htm#Nalgene38ozStainlessSteel
Posted by: leemann

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 11:06 PM

I have one of the Guyot bottles and it works great, Added the splash guard too.

Lee
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 11:10 PM

+ 1 on Guyot Designs. They have been the best SS water bottles for what I use them for. Works great with the steripen and Katadyn combi and the threads match up to the water bottle, no extra hoses.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: falcon5000
+ 1 on Guyot Designs. They have been the best SS water bottles for what I use them for. Works great with the steripen and Katadyn combi and the threads match up to the water bottle, no extra hoses.

I'm glad to hear that the threads work with Katadyn filters since I have a couple of Guyot bottles on order.

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/15/08 11:28 PM

I have the 32 oz bottles and the threads work the same as a nalgine. These are awesome bottles and I don't think you can go wrong, I think you'll love them.

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/16/08 12:07 PM

Wow, I had never seen the Guyot stainless bottle before. Looks excellent! Glad I posted about the Klean Kanteen so I could inadvertently learn about the Guyot! smile
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/16/08 12:26 PM

I own the 32oz Guyot Bottle....It's built like a tank...I highly recommend it.

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/16/08 01:01 PM

Yes you can't go wrong with the Guyot stainless bottle, I own 3 myself (1 for work,1 for BOB,1 for traveling). You can boil water in them with no problem and they are built solid. They will also directly screw in to my water filter and MSR dromedary bag yet wide enough mouth to put the steripen in. I think the steripen may work even better in the ss bottles because of the reflectivity of the UV, but it's speculation. I've had both nalgine and ss (stainless steel) and after drinking water out of a ss, I'll never go back. Definitively better water taste for me and my water stays colder longer as well. It is also a non insulating bottle so you can boil water in them. I've done it on a electric stove, a fire, a camping gas stove and with a propane torch. Guyot is also a great company to deal with as well, I've had a lot of positive experience with them and continue to buy from them.

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/16/08 10:48 PM

I'll deign to answer this.

On the lead question, not a worry. Guyot is very picky about QC.

Yes, it is imported. And if an American owned company with an American designer's imported product is the superior one to one made in the US, I'll go with them. Heck, if it is the superior product, PERIOD, I'll with it. I'm a functionalist, not a jingoist- if the US can't keep up as a nation, we deserve whatever we get.
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/16/08 10:57 PM

Best water bottles I have used are these...stainless steel vacuum bottles by Thermos. I have left them in my car on a hot day for hourss and they will keep my water cold no problem.

Thermos water bottle

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/16/08 11:39 PM

Click that little picture next to the happy face just above the text window and then insert the link in the first pane and the text you want to show in the second pane. Click that link and it takes you to the "Thermos Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle" website you wanted to post.
Posted by: MedicineMan

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/20/08 10:06 AM

Kleen canteen-mouth not wide enough to store things in--I've seen some nice kits made using a wider mouth bottle e.g. nalgene.
The advantage of being able to boil water in it is moot considering all you can do readily is boil water in it...a simple pot allows far greater variety in cooking where you might need to get legs/ribs whatever in the pot and moreso cleaning afterward....I say spend the money on a nice pot like a MSR Titan...trendy at best. But somewhere out there someone has a nalgene shaped metal bottle with a wide mouth, a better choice I think.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/20/08 10:51 AM

I wish I'd known about the Klean Kanteen and Guyot SS bottles when I picked up my Sigg Bottles. I probably would have gone with one of the former two instead.

Right now I carry 2 1 liter Sigg bottles with thermal covers. The covers insulate pretty well for thin neoprene and it fills out the bulk so that I can slip Olicamp cups over the ends.
Posted by: riprater

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/24/08 04:24 PM

As many people have mentioned, you can boil water in one of these stainless bottles. Of course a dedicated pot or canteen cup works better for cooking or purifying water. Here is something that has not been brought up though. Every time I go backpacking and it drops below freezing, I am having to sleep with my water bottles in my sleeping bag to try to keep them from freezing. In one of these stainless bottles, if it does accidentally freeze, you can place it on top of a stove or fire to melt the ice inside the bottle. You can't do that with a polycarbonate bottle...

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/24/08 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: riprater
...In one of these stainless bottles, if it does accidentally freeze, you can place it on top of a stove or fire to melt the ice inside the bottle. You can't do that with a polycarbonate bottle...

Good point.

I agree w/ the other guys that a pot or canteen cup is the best route but remember the context here: a small shoulder bag where every ounce counts and minimalism/multifunction reigns. I'd rather have a nice backpacking stove and Teflon cookset but that's for a different context.

Re: nice stainless steel water bottle - 09/24/08 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
a small shoulder bag where every ounce counts and minimalism/multifunction reigns.

The Goyuet fits in the GSI and Olicamp cups, quite easily. So do some of the Kleen Kanteens. The added cubes are nearly nil, and the added ounce is about 1.5 each. Not that big of a deal- I carry such a cup in my EDC, and two in my ditch kit.