Water Purification--Red Cross Blunder?

Posted by: Anonymous

Water Purification--Red Cross Blunder? - 07/27/02 07:46 PM

The American Red Cross published a brochure with a 2001 copyright titled "Food and Water in an Emergency." In it, they give the following advice regarding water purification:<br><br>"The only agent used to treat water should be household liquid bleach. Other chemicals, such as iodine or water treatment products sold in camping or surplus stores that do not contain 5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite as the only active ingredient, are not recommended and should not be used. " <br><br>This has been picked up by the FEMA Website and some State Emergency Websites. I am certainly not an expert, but it seems to me this is TERRIBLE information. Anyone have any idea of how and why they got it so wrong? Am I missing something?<br><br><br>

Re: Water Purification--Red Cross Blunder? - 07/27/02 10:12 PM

These days, the information from any targetable source seems to have more to do with the threat of litigation than truth or helpfulness.<br><br>Just a guess, but perhaps chlorine, despite it's evident toxicity, it regarded as a "safe harbor" water purifying recommendation since it's pumped into municipal water supplies by the ton?<br><br>"Of course it's safe for you to drink, the government says so. Just don't put live fish in it, or they'll die..."

Re: Water Purification--Red Cross Blunder? - 08/07/02 08:03 PM

Boiling should purify water but I heard from a doctor that for ecoli to be eliminated you should boil it for 14min.