Trash bags...

Posted by: JohnE

Trash bags... - 07/19/08 08:13 PM

I've found an online source for some 4 mil thick, 36"x48" yellow trash bags. I'm waiting for a sample from the vendor.

If they're all they seem to be I'm gonna order a box. If it's ok with the powers that be and if anyone would like a couple, I'll sell em in small quantities for what they cost me plus a buck for postage.

They come in a case of 50 and I don't think I can use that many even with the various kits I've put together.

I'll let you folks know when I get the sample.

John E

Posted by: leemann

Re: Trash bags... - 07/20/08 03:41 AM

Cool I'm in for a few if possible.

Lee
Posted by: big_al

Re: Trash bags... - 07/20/08 04:13 AM

You might like these, from Peter Kummerfeldt.
Plastic orange bag (38 x 65, 4 mil)
Reg: $3.00USD
they can be found at

www.outdoorsafe.com

Posted by: SARbound

Re: Trash bags... - 07/22/08 02:11 AM

Cool, 4 mil is pretty heavy duty. However, for just-in-case scenarios, these are readily available and cheap.

(More or less) 50 cents per bag. I always carry one of these in addition to an AMK heatsheet. Gets the job done!
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Trash bags... - 07/22/08 02:51 AM

I taught a one day Survival class to 20 kids last week and gave out an orange Glad Leaf bag elastic banded to a space blanket as the shelter component of their mini Survival Kits. Not the best stuff, but the best for the limited funds I had to spend.

Mike
Posted by: weldon

Re: Trash bags... - 07/22/08 03:29 AM

The bags from Peter Kummerfeldt are super heavy duty, and on a plus side the 2 times I've heard him speak he plugs equipped.org and Doug Ritter as excellent sources of information.

PS. I should add that the bags are the thickest 4 mil bags I've ever had my hands on. I know mil's are a thickness rating but the bags feel like 6 mil to me.
Posted by: clarktx

Re: Trash bags... - 07/22/08 12:27 PM

Yeah tolerances are funny things. Perhaps Peter sells thicker bags so that he makes sure he's within tolerance of what he's selling. I was going to pick some up, but I'll wait to see what JohnE has to offer I guess.
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Trash bags... - 07/23/08 04:50 AM

Waiting for the free trash bag sample to show up from the vendor. I have no doubt that there are any number of bags out there that are similiar and/or better than those I've mentioned. I'll take a look at what shows up and if they look to be adequate, I'll take a flyer and order a case.

Speaking of bags, has anyone experimented/test driven anti-static bags in place of the more common Ziploc type?

The ones I'm familiar with are a 3 ply mylar bag with a zip type fastener along one edge, pretty much the same as a standard Ziploc bag. The big difference is the materials used. The anti-static bag is virtually untearable compared to the plastic Ziploc bag. They are incredibly tough, very hard to puncture. They are priced higher than a Ziploc but I've got some that I've used many times over for 4"x5" film holders and they're still in great shape. I haven't tested them for watertightness specifically.

John E
Posted by: weldon

Re: Trash bags... - 07/24/08 09:36 PM

From what I understand on those bags from Peter Kummerfeldt they are the same bags the Colorado dept of transportation uses for roadside cleanup.
Posted by: Boghog1

Re: Trash bags... - 09/10/10 02:12 PM

Hate to bump an old thread but the scouts will be building survival kits and we will be using them this October on an overnight survival weekend I am looking for bags and we need around 20 but I am will to spring for more if the price is reasonable (if I have to buy a box to get quantity like that. any ideas I am familiar with the above supplier by at $3 a pop it could get expensive quick
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Trash bags... - 09/10/10 02:57 PM

Oversize, contractor-weight trash bags shouldn't be hard to find locally. I've even seen extra heavy duty ones on the shelf at big box hardware stores, though I don't recall if they were 4 mil.

Call around to your local janitorial supply companies. Make sure you tell them it's for scouts; you might get a freebie.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Trash bags... - 09/11/10 04:12 AM

large heavy duty plastic bags can be found at Duluth Pack.used to WP their canvas portage packs they come in several sizes.these are very heavy plastic so don't expect one to fit in a pocket size kit.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: Trash bags... - 09/11/10 10:36 AM

Lowe's contractor bags 32-in x 50-in 3 mil Box of 50 $24.98
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Trash bags... - 09/11/10 01:44 PM

This site offers 2 mil 43x47 56 gallon orange bags for 59 cents apiece in boxes of 100. (http://www.interplas.com/43x47-56-gallon-hd-orange-trash-bags-p-cl-sho-4347h