PVC, pt II

Posted by: ironraven

PVC, pt II - 07/09/08 11:58 PM

Since the last such post degenerated into silliness and speculation....

To those who engaged in the sillies... *blows rasberry*
To those who speculated about my safety, check out this:
http://www.pipeconx.com/perl/inside.pl?choice=;id=caps

I met them today.

I'm thinking for my bed roll kit, I'll put one of these on the tube that will go in the center. Easier to get off, and if something goes catastrophically wrong in terms of pressure, they slide off. In wetter weather, I can screw the hose clamp down very tight, should keep everything very water tight.

Or am I out of my gourd?
Posted by: Blast

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 12:27 AM

Looks good. I was hoping they'd have something for 6" pvc. I want to make a waterproof rifle container for the kayak and canoe.

-Blast
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 12:40 AM

That was my concern. Their max diameter is 4", my bedroll sure wouldn't fit into a piece of 4" PVC, unless it was real long...

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 02:17 AM

*shakes head* Bed roll goes outside the tube. Coffee can stove and pot, and maybe a spare coffe can pot, go inside as organizers. Compressing straps around the outside othe bedroll will have a playmore pouch attached, maybe, for the big FAK and a few other things.

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 02:27 AM

I know why it didn't work.... *whispers* i posted url, not link blush

http://www.pipeconx.com/perl/inside.pl?choice=;id=caps

Try that

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 02:28 AM

"...Bed roll goes outside the tube..."

As a blonde gal I used to work with was always saying (about five minutes after the punchline), "I get it, I get it." I assume that your coffee can stove and pot can fit inside of a piece of 4" PVC. Must be the so called one pound cans. I have never measured one of those, so I assume it will fit, or you wouldn't be using it. Makes mucho more sense now...
Posted by: Susan

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 03:04 PM

So where is the price on those things? I've never seen any like them, and they MUST be cheaper than those expensive ones at the hardware store.

OBG, Ironraven didn't really want to have to spell it out to you... take your sleeping bag, cut it into strips, and stuff the strips down the tube with a stick.

Sue

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 10:05 PM

"...take your sleeping bag, cut it into strips, and stuff the strips down the tube with a stick..."

Yet another use for my hiking stick.

You can usually find those type of caps in the plumbing department of larger hardware stores. I have seen them a jillion times, but, never having needed one, I don't have a clue as to price...
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 10:33 PM

If you find a 6-icher (PVC pipe, that is) maybe you could use a large tire tube as the materiel for the endcap held in place with those big hose clamps.

maybe.....

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 11:33 PM

They just barely fit, no rattle, just enough to slide in and out. That idea is stolen from someone over on zombie squad.

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/10/08 11:35 PM

Let me see here....

About 7 bucks for a solid cap, about 5 bucks for the soft one, and 8 bucks for 2' length of 4" precut at Home Despot- 20 feet is only $18, but I only NEED two, and I can't exactly fit 20' of anything into my Taurus. :P
Posted by: turbo

Re: PVC, pt II - 07/11/08 02:20 AM

For those looking for a six inch cap, click on the FC/Fast Cap link in the PipeCONX web site that ironraven refered to.