Snakebite First Aid

Posted by: Chaotiklown

Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 03:23 AM

Any thoughts on snakebite first aid? antivenom kits are not an option, available only by prescription. to my understanding, and tournaquit and sucking the venom out seems to be the best chance...
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 03:26 AM

This topic has been discussed here in depth, if you do a search you should find lots of information. Probably none of which will really help you in your situation...
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 03:29 AM

WRONG!WRONG!WRONG! Those old Cutter type kits do more harm than any possible good. If you are snakebit by a VENOMOUS, and I was twice by my own stupidity;The ONLY medical action is to remain calm and get to proper medical help ASAP, only taking time if needed to properly I.D. the snake.A non venemous bite is still cause for concern and should be properly examined and a tetanus booster and possibly supportive antibiotics given.

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 03:32 AM

None of this will be an option. I will be deep in the woods anywhere from one to two months. I'm asking if there's any makeshift snakebite first aid that will give me half a chance if bitten, medical attention excluded

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 03:38 AM

Well, re the "tournaquit," the general rule is that you only apply one if you are willing to lose the limb it is attached to; and once applied, it is only to be removed by a doctor.

Re suction, a Sawyer kit probably won't do any harm, it might suck some venom out. But don't even think of making any of the old fashioned "X" cuts over the punctures!!!
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 04:26 AM

A simple Google search will give you or anyone else for that matter, the most up to date info available on the treatment of venomous snakes.

A couple of things, first off, you DON'T use a tourniquet to treat snakebite. If you feel you must go against all of the current medical protocols, you might use a constricting band, which slows down the venom. A tourniquet cuts off blood flow and can lead to gangrene, amputation or death if used improperly.

The only method that should even be considered other than that which is recommended by medical professionals would be the use of an extractor, not the old fashioned suction cups and razor blade method.

You have much better than "half a chance" if you take reasonable precautions, are an otherwise healthy adult and use common sense while in snake territory. You didn't mention where you were going "deep in the woods" at, that will also help determine the odds of you surviving. There are only a few species of poisonous snakes in the continental U.S. If you're in an area not frequented by any of the poisonous species, your odds of surviving increase rather dramatically.

I'd also look up the latest statistics on venomous snake bite cases in the U.S., might make you more at ease when you realise just how few people actually die from them.

John E

P.S. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor am I a herpetologist, but I am a nationally registered EMT and know a bit about treating snakebites.

Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 10:27 AM

If medical attention is out of the question, then NightHiker, along with OBG's suggestion of a Sawyer extraction kit is what I would do. The Sawyer kit is said to be able to drain up to 50% of the venom injected, assuming you can kill the snake and get it into use within the first couple of miniutes. Not something to rely on IF medical care/anti-venom is an option. If however medical care is NOT an option, it is better than nothing. Every little bit of venom drained is less venom in your body, and the psycological calming effect of having done somthing other than panic will help keep (or should help) your heart rate down....... Just my 2¢ Good luck on your journey.

-Bill Liptak

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 01:30 PM

One bad boy you really need to avoid is the Mojave "Green" Rattlesnake. This guys venom is approximately 16 times stronger than the sidewinder, and its venom, "...which it uses to immobilized its prey and defend itself, attack both the nervous system with nuerotoxins and the bloodstream with hemotoxins..." "This is probably the most dangerous snake in North America. It is aggressive..." We spent six months in Mojave country recently, and have talked to several locals who swear that they have been chased into the bed of their pickups by a Mojave they had managed to irritate.

Link

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 02:23 PM

Hey, thanks guys, lots of information here... I'll be hiking in the Appalachian, or "Blue Ridge" Mountain range... I will be in the woods for approximately a month and a half, so I will need to rely on what information I have, rather than proper medical attention. I'll check out this "Sawyer Sucker" that's been referred to, sounds like a pretty good idea... Thanks everybody!
Posted by: dweste

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 04:35 PM

Call or email a trauma doc or center in the area you believe you might encounter a problem. If you have your own doctor, you may be able to get a presecription for whatever the other folks recommend.

Check wilderness first aid sites on the 'net.

Then you can make a cost-benefit analysis of whether or not to carry whatever.

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 04:50 PM

Question on something contained in your post- You mentioned that these methods work provided I "can kill the snake and get it into use in the first couple minutes" Why exactly should I kill the snake? I mean, I realize that he wouldn't exactly be willing to give me a hand fixing myself after he bites,. although it would be a great idea to get away before I have a chance of being bitten again... In fact, wouldn't killing the snake put me in further danger of being bitten?
Posted by: Blast

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 06:16 PM

The main reason for killing the snake is so the doctor will have a positive ID on it and so can pick the proper antivenom. Treating a snake bite with the wrong antivenom is bad.

-Blast
Posted by: billym

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Chaotiklown
. I'll be hiking in the Appalachian, or "Blue Ridge" Mountain range... I will be in the woods for approximately a month and a half, so I will need to rely on what information I have, rather than proper medical attention. I'll check out this "Sawyer Sucker" that's been referred to, sounds like a pretty good idea... Thanks everybody!

Anywhere on the east coast is not usually more than an hour or two hike back to civilization as in a road or town. Now if you were deep in the Sierras, Rockies etc. then you would be truly way too far from civilization.
You will easily have the option of getting to a hospital.
The Sawyer Extractor is another waste of time.
Just don't get bit; learn what snakes do and walk cautiously.
Bill
Posted by: Susan

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 09:04 PM

I don't understand. First you said you will be traveling from NC to IL. Now you say you'll be deep in the woods for a month or two. What?

There's no real way to treat a snakebite on your own. Forget all the crap you've seen in movies. As CK said, snakebite kits are a waste of time.

Snake venom moves through the lymph system, not through the blood. Unless, of course, you take a direct hit in a vein or something, in which case I hope you have some ID on you so your family will eventually know what happened to you.

The only real treatment is antivenin of the right kind for the snake (I believe pit vipers and coral snakes take different kinds, and there may be other differences). One $250-350 vial usually won't do the job; an appropriate treatment might be ten or twelve vials. And they need to be kept refrigerated.

The toxicity of the bite can cause a lot of problems, but the antivenin itself can be life-threatening, and not all the reactions happen right away.

Prevention is far better than treatment.

1) Watch where you're walking, on the ground and in the trees. Carry a walking stick and poke any areas you can't see before you step there. If a trail is going your way, stay on it.

2) Watch where you put your hands, esp when climbing or collecting firewood. Use a stick instead of your bare hands. Snakes tend to stay in the shade or under bushes in the heat of the day.

3) Wear a pair of lightweight Snake Guards on your lower legs.

4) Don't walk at night in snake country without a good flashlight. At night, rattlesnakes will often lie right in the trail to soak up the warmth from the day.

5) PAY ATTENTION! Common sense will go a long way toward keeping you safe.

I grew up and spent a lot of time in rattlesnake country. Snakes are not normally aggressive and prefer to leave the area if you give them a chance. Corner one and tease it, you deserve what you get.

Sue
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 11:08 PM

PLB.

-john

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/09/08 11:56 PM

I don't think he has much of a chance of seeing a doctor, given his plans. The little guy might make a nice meal though. Tastes just like chicken...

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/10/08 12:07 AM

Hmm... You may have a point there, and thanks for the encouragement:-D. I'll be sure to carry a list of preferred recipes in my pocket, just in case...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Snakebite First Aid - 07/10/08 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

1. constriction band several inches above the bite, if it's on a limb. NOT A TOURNIQUET. You want to slow the flow of venous blood and lymphatic fluid not the arterial supply. Monitor to make sure it does not become a tourniquet.

I thought that constricting the flow of venom was only suitable for elapids. Whereas for pit vipers, confining the venom to a small area only increases the likelihood of permanent necrotic damage.