My New Gerber LMF II !

Posted by: TrailDemon

My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/11/08 08:23 PM

Heyas,

Well i finally got in my very first fixed blade knife!
After doing a LOT of research online, and networking, I decided on the Black Gerber LMF II, Infantry. I think i looked around for at least a year for my knife of choice.

A few observations:
1. The blade came sharp, right out of the box. I could shave my arm hairs with it! smirk My only thought here was i would have preferred the saw edge to have been on the back of the blade instead. I prefer a straight edge.
2. It came wit two beautifull leg/calf straps. Best straps i've ever seen! Very Durable. Hold very tight on my thigh with no slippage.
3. The sheath is very robust. It has a unique kydex knife fastener clip that firmy holds the knife in place, and two handle straps. The bottom strap was very tight to snap around the handle until i adjusted the sheath a bit. With the kydex clip i really doubt the need for the straps. The thumb clip is a positive locking 'click when the knife is put away. The sheath has a built in sharpener, saving the need for a 'pocket stone' pouch on the sheath. A lot of optional strap holes, and attatchment points allows for multiple carry options. The sheath is ambidextrous for the lefties. wink Only thing it needs now is a mount for a flint striker! wink
4. When drawn, i noticed that the handle is very comfortable. It feels like an extension of my hand. The grip has an almost 'sticky' feeling to it, even when wet.
5. The knife is not bad balance wise, but it is a bit pommel heavy which is good for pommel impacts! I think i would have preferred a flat end instead of a point, for use for hammering.
The pommel lanyard hole was a bonus, and looks very strong. Now i have to go out and get a lanyard dammit! wink

For the price i paid, i think i did well. Now all i need it to make an excuse to use it! wink

peace
al

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/11/08 08:33 PM

Welcome to the LMF II club wink
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/11/08 08:36 PM

*whimpers*
I want one too......but the misses wont let me buy yet another knife. Gonna have to start saving nickles and dimes behind her back.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: Paragon

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/11/08 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TrailDemon
The sheath is very robust. It has a unique kydex knife fastener clip that firmy holds the knife in place, and two handle straps. The bottom strap was very tight to snap around the handle until i adjusted the sheath a bit. With the kydex clip i really doubt the need for the straps. The thumb clip is a positive locking 'click when the knife is put away.

The LMF is my primary knife as well. In case you missed it, we were actually discussing some of Gerber's "shortcomings" here last week.

I see from the attached photos that the black oxide finish on your pommel looks about like mine did when I first took it out of the box -- perhaps Gerber wants everyone that sees your knife to think that you've actually had it for several years and have used it to break through a helicopter canopy.

You'll find that no matter what you do, the retention straps will never loosen up to the point that they ever function as they should. I tried several methods to get them to the point that I could actually close them with one hand, including soaking them in water and then closing them over the handle (which I had temporarily made larger with a sheet of cardboard) but alas, I finally gave up and used the knife to cut them completely off.

As you have already discovered, the integral retention clip on the sheath is more than adequate, and I enjoy the knife so much more now that I can actually use it without the fear of others convinced I'm afflicted with Tourette syndrome seeing me fumble around trying to secure two retention straps that were designed a half inch too short.

Jim

Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/11/08 09:38 PM

Hi TrailDemon,

Thanks for the good evaluation and pictures of the Gerber LMF II, first close-up look of a black version I have seen.

I have been "lusting" for one of this knife for a while after hearing the rave reviews on ETS and the web. Would it be possible to trim the molle attachment slots off the sheath to make it more narrow, less tactical looking, or would this compromise the strength of the sheath?

I am heading south tomorrow and may breakdown and buy one when I am in the city, it is the sneaking it into the house part that is difficult. It may be a good thing that the finish scratches easily, I can rub it around in the sand on the driveway a bit and when the DW asks "where did that new toy come from"? I can say "this old thing, I have had this for a while".

My anniversary is coming up the middle of next month, maybe the DW would like a new Gerber LMF II to strap on while gardening, ya thats it, she needs one for working in the garden, problem solved (funny how she often does not appreciate all the thought I put into the gifts I get her)?

Mike
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/11/08 11:21 PM

Yea, welcome to the club, Very pleased with mine, I'm sure you will be too.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/12/08 12:02 AM

In case I haven't said it before, Welcome Newguy!

I personally have no need for leg holsters/sheaths/pouches of any kind, prefering my gear to ride high and tight, but if you like it good deal!!!
Posted by: Paragon

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/12/08 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I have been "lusting" for one of this knife for a while after hearing the rave reviews on ETS and the web. Would it be possible to trim the molle attachment slots off the sheath to make it more narrow, less tactical looking, or would this compromise the strength of the sheath?

Mike,

The molle attachment slots could indeed be trimmed away without compromising the integrity of the sheath. I'm not sure how neat the edge would look once you were finished, as the entire exterior of the sheath is covered in a thin rubberized coating, so it would likely ball up if exposed to significant heat during cutting/sanding (although Gerber claims this material is heat resistant).

You'll be pleased to know that the inner retention clip has a (horizontal) slot which the nylon portion of the sheath attaches to, so that could be the foundation for your future attachment to a belt once the molle attachments were removed.

I'm not sure if that last paragraph makes much sense until you get your hands on one. Basically the sheath/attachment is multi-part:

1). Part #1 is a black nylon sheath attachment with upper and lower (vertical) snap molle attachments on the inside. There is one (vertical) velcro molle attachment on the outside that is used to attach the nylon portion of the sheath to the rubberized portion. Finally there are two (horizontal) velcro molle attachments on the outside to further attach the nylon portion of the sheath to the rubberized portion (The current version of this sheath is like TrailDemon's photo and only has one lower horizontal attachment, whereas the ones Gerber were shipping up to a few months ago had two). The top portion of this also has the two (horizontal) snap straps that supplement the integral retention clip of part #2.

2). Part #2 is a rigid (steel I suspect) sheath with rubberized type coating. This part has six (vertical) molle slots, two (horizontal) molle slots (one located in the integral retention clip) and eight lanyard holes.

3). There are two nylon leg/calf straps with rubber strips on the inside (to add grip) that are also included.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Jim

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/12/08 02:30 AM

Personally I removed the Nylon MOLLE part and just use the plastic sheath by lashing it or strapping it to gear using the slots/holes.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/12/08 03:09 AM

Thanks Fellas,

I hope to get a first-hand look at the LMF II this weekend.

I would have already bought one but I am still not sure about the serrations?

Mike

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/12/08 03:36 AM

The one nice thing about the serrations is that they are big and easy to sharpen...not like the stuff Spyderco and CRKT do.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/12/08 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I personally have no need for leg holsters/sheaths/pouches of any kind, prefering my gear to ride high and tight

I have tended toward mounting my fixed blade higher, in a sheath that's on the left shoulder strap of a weight bearing harness or backpack strap. I am right handed, and mount the sheath with the pointed end up. It seems to bang against fewer things up there, and my right hand slides up to the left shoulder strap like I was meant to have a knife mounted right there. I guess it's just another one of those preference things.

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/12/08 10:32 PM

If that works for you, great. I have things against a harness/pack strap upside down carry, but that is just me...

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/13/08 09:42 PM

If you don't like the sheath, you could always replace it with something less 'tactical'. As for modifying the sheath. NO WAY! I like it the way it is. Its really not all that bulky, although i haven't done any trips with it yet.

I haven't tried a inverted chest strap mounting yet, but i will try it. Who knows? i may like it more. When i get around to it, ill post some pics. I'm currently in the process of moving away from the city so things are a bit nuts right now.

peace
al

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 12:24 AM

The tactical look doesn't bother me all that much. I just like a knife attached to me, not a piece of my equipment, and as I said before, I like things on my belt to be high and tight. But again, that is just me...
Posted by: Stretch

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
........ I like things on my belt to be high and tight. But again, that is just me...

Must be habit from all those years wearing a high-ride holster........
Posted by: Stretch

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 01:56 AM

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse last week drooling all over the glass countertop. They had a couple of Gerber LMFs. I didn;t handle one (should have) but I noticed the handle looks extra-deep, as in thin but with a wide chord. I remember taking note of that and should of asked to fondle that one. How's it feel in the hand? Also, where is that knife made?

Gracias

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 03:21 AM

IMO the handle isn't very thin...it's very rubbery.

I'm fairly certain they're made in Portland like most other Gerbers.
Posted by: Russ

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 12:39 PM

The only fixed blade knives on my belt will be in a horizontal carry -- very comfortable, no bouncing at all.

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 01:08 PM

Probably. I tried a swivel once, hated it. Hoyte highrise for me...

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 01:10 PM

I haven't tried one of those yet, but as soon as I complete the kit knife I am working on I am going to make a horizontal (or almost) cross draw sheath for it. I saw several of those last year in Wyoming and liked the look...
Posted by: Russ

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 01:26 PM

Yep, cross draw. Mine sit just left of my belt buckle, primarily for right hand, but my left hand has also drawn it on occasion.

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 01:58 PM

I've worn my LMF II horizontal. I just laced a webbing strap through the top and bottom loops of the sheath (minus the MOLLE stuff) and then worn the strap like a belt...I usually strap it to gear but if I'm not carrying a pack, this is where it goes.

Sometimes I wear it like that to keep things low key. When I'm camping with a bunch of 'leave no trace' types (my wife and I call them 'tidy campers'), having a big tactical knife on the outside of my pack just generates too many questions and concerns...I guess they're worried I'm going to go John Rambo on them...or worse a tree.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

When I'm camping with a bunch of 'leave no trace' types (my wife and I call them 'tidy campers'),

So what a sec? You lumping in the "leave no trace" folks in as "not well equipped," "afraid of equipment" or something similar?

The way I'm reading your post, as opposed to being tidy, you're the type of camper that leaves half a roll of TP, a few cases of empty beer cans, and a still smoldering fire when you roll out.

So, am I reading this wrong?

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana

When I'm camping with a bunch of 'leave no trace' types (my wife and I call them 'tidy campers'),

So what a sec? You lumping in the "leave no trace" folks in as "not well equipped," "afraid of equipment" or something similar?

The way I'm reading your post, as opposed to being tidy, you're the type of camper that leaves half a roll of TP, a few cases of empty beer cans, and a still smoldering fire when you roll out.

So, am I reading this wrong?

I'm sorry if you misunderstood and if I offended but I wasn't referring to this type of camping style as poorly equipped.

What I WAS referring to is that true followers of Leave No Trace are against disruptions to nature as small as over turning a rock. I sometimes find myself camping with people I don't know very well and are aquaintances at best. People often get the wrong idea when you break out the heavy gear like saws, axes, and big knives thinking you're some kind of mountain man wannabe who's going to start chopping down trees for the thrill.

And by referring to them as 'tidy' I didn't mean to imply that my personal style is in any way 'untidy' (you sure are reading a lot into my post! smile ). It's simply a pet name that I've used since before 'Leave No Trace' was a popular term.

The point of my post was that I like to be prepared in my own way while staying politically correct and considering the comfort level of those around me. I think of it as similar to many of us preferring fixed blade knives but very few, if any, of us would walk around town or go to work with a big belt knife on our leg. It might be more practical or suit our personal ideas of being preparred better...but it's not always the proper thing to do.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/14/08 06:39 PM

Leave no trace seems counter-intuitive to life.

I think a more appropriate phrase would be "try to limit your impact within reason".

Nature is not static, and the forces of nature wreak havoc on the environment often in far worse ways than we puny humans.

I prefer the notion of frugal, considerate, and ethical. Then it is just varying degrees, from one extreme to another perhaps. One guy goes through the woods leaving nary a footprint, another builds a house that stands for over 80 years. Nowhere in that range would I include a dump site.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/19/08 11:36 AM

I'm sorry if you misunderstood and if I offended but I wasn't referring to this type of camping style as poorly equipped.

What I WAS referring to is that true followers of Leave No Trace are against disruptions to nature as small as over turning a rock. I sometimes find myself camping with people I don't know very well and are aquaintances at best. People often get the wrong idea when you break out the heavy gear like saws, axes, and big knives thinking you're some kind of mountain man wannabe who's going to start chopping down trees for the thrill.

And by referring to them as 'tidy' I didn't mean to imply that my personal style is in any way 'untidy' (you sure are reading a lot into my post! smile ). It's simply a pet name that I've used since before 'Leave No Trace' was a popular term.

The point of my post was that I like to be prepared in my own way while staying politically correct and considering the comfort level of those around me. I think of it as similar to many of us preferring fixed blade knives but very few, if any, of us would walk around town or go to work with a big belt knife on our leg. It might be more practical or suit our personal ideas of being preparred better...but it's not always the proper thing to do.

Well explained. OK, what you're saying makes sense - practical "low impact" versus the uber-Nazi-Tree-Huggers that want to make sure that your camera flash doesn't fade the color of the plants. They probably think you shouldn't boil or treat water, since you're removing a resource from nature.

Yeah, i probably did read into it too much. Sorry bout that!

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 04/19/08 02:21 PM

LOL. No worries. I can appreciate how hard it can be to read intentions when all you have are my scattered typed in ramblings wink

It wasn't that long ago that I would see these types at a campground never light a fire, cook over a tiny isobutane stove, and go to bed before dark...I thought they were nuts. What I didn't realize of course is that they weren't there to have fun...they just wanted to get up early and have their fun out on the trails and mountains.

Ironically, when I camp these days, I'm a lot closer to that style than I used to be (I once packed a whole utility trailer full of stuff for just me and a girlfriend to go camping for a weekend!). There's something to be said for keeping things light and simple even if you don't consider the environmental impact. Even when backpacking I find myself taking less and less each time and moving to smaller tools (like my LMF II). It's much more satisfying to do more with less...which also can have environmental benefits on the side.

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 05/07/08 02:24 AM

Well i FINALLY received my firesteel today! MAN! I don't know whats going on here in the city of vancouver, but finding a firesteel in a retailer here is almost impossible.
Anyways, i mail ordered out, and finally got a army swedish firesteel.
Unfortunately the LMF II doesn't have a pouch for anything like this item on its' sheath. Guess i'll have to think a bit and devise something. I don't like the idea of just tying it on, i want to make somekind of tight sleeve for it. Ideas?

peace
al

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 05/07/08 02:36 AM

The obvious choice is Kydex. If you have the ability to work with the stuff you could make a sheath and then bolt it to the cord holes in the plastic sheath.

Posted by: ozanrd

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 05/07/08 05:39 AM

I'm a little late to the party, but I'd like to add myself to the list of LMF II owners (mine is the Black Infantry version.) This truly is a well built and versatile tool.
Posted by: SirJoel

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 05/07/08 01:17 PM

Nice new toy. Might have to look into one for me.

thanks
Posted by: harstad

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 05/07/08 07:43 PM

I got mine for Christmas last year. I love it. I know people always bash Gerber but I think make good stuff.

Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! - 05/07/08 07:45 PM

Gerber makes good stuff but they also make not-so-good stuff too. I find that with Gerber you get what you pay for.