edc

Posted by: eire

edc - 04/08/08 08:11 PM

hello all

i am new to the forum can any one suggest an EDC list for urban setting
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: edc - 04/08/08 08:22 PM

It's going to be a sensory assault but if you search the forum you're going to find all the EDC examples you'll ever need.

...and welcome newguy! smile
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: edc - 04/08/08 08:50 PM

When I began to put together and EDC, I looked at the list of things in Doug Ritter's pocket-sized PSK and took it from there. I think what you put in yours is going to depend on you and your environment. If you are like many, you will think and rethink what is in yours over and over again. Nothign wrong with doing so.

If you want an idea about what some EDC take a look at: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=119353&fpart=1

The list for mine is in there, and I am in an urban environment.

And welcome!!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: edc - 04/08/08 09:39 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!

Ditto on the search function. From what I understand your search must have at least four characters, so try "urban edc" or something similar...
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: edc - 04/08/08 09:41 PM

also you could see www.edcforums.com they might help...again sensory overload for someone new but well worth it. Welcome!
Posted by: Blitz

Re: edc - 04/08/08 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: eire
hello all

i am new to the forum can any one suggest an EDC list for urban setting

Welcome!!

I would suggest a good flashlight and head lamp, N95 Masks, Doug Ritter PSK, a good knife (if you can carry) and to check out County Comm http://www.countycomm.com/. You can go crazy there. Extra batteries, water storage as well as on body supply of drinkable water, pen and paper, pry bars etc. energy bar/food. As others have said search the forum.

Oh yeah, a good concealable gun. To protect your S#!^ and @$$

That should get you started,

Blitz
Posted by: MDinana

Re: edc - 04/08/08 10:01 PM

welcome! good luck narrowing it down... best idea is to look at prior posts, come up with your own design, then post it here. At that point, you'll get more feedback than your wife AND girlfriend could give you combined wink
Posted by: EHCRain10

Re: edc - 04/08/08 10:01 PM

welcome, this forum is a great resource of knowledge, you'll be surprised at what some of the members know
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: edc - 04/08/08 10:23 PM

Welcome to ETS, I know from time to time as newer guest arrive they always ask several general questions that have been covered relentlessly and the common answer is to search for it which in some cases take quite awhile. I'm wondering if one of the moderators could put a quick link to some of the basic questions to help assist others (similar to what the Bussie forum does on Blade Forum). And as new questions arise the links can be updated, etc..
Just a thought............

Reference as examples: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=713
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330784

Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: edc - 04/08/08 10:43 PM

Umm...do what the other people here suggested, and go to the links they provided. That's all I can say. There will be so much information it'll almost drive you mad but hopefully you'll get a ton of useful ideas.

The most important thing (what I did, anyway) is to make a list with the budget you have. From there decide what you think you need to buy based on where you live, interact with others, and work. Then just kind of go from there.

Reading materials on preparedness and survival help GREATLY. They can give you a ton of ideas on everything from building a pocket-sized survival kit from what kind of small equipment you should carry from day to day. Just check out your local library or bookstore, there's a ton of information there. That's what I do!

And welcome, BTW!
Posted by: TQS

Re: edc - 04/08/08 10:53 PM

Here is my old post. I have since stopped going to the Beaner Wagon for lunch because I saw the guy leave a restroom without washing his hands.

This post should have been in response to the original poster. Sorry.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: edc - 04/08/08 11:41 PM

Tell us more. This is like asking "what is the best screwdriver".
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: edc - 04/08/08 11:58 PM

Be sure to set the date range on the search screen.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: edc - 04/09/08 01:34 AM

I guess if we're talking about EDC items, I figured I would take some new pics of what I carry the majority of the time:

This is my main EDC;
Benchmade 707 knife
Surefire E1e-HA/KL4 flashlight
Tissot T-touch watch
Wallet
Cell phone
Keys
Belt

The same items, just opened up so you can see everything.

Keys with:
-medicine vial with spare battery for surefire and tinder
-BSA hotspark with shrink-tubing cover
-Silver whistle

Belt is a money belt with a zipper, inside that is:
-spare key to truck
-little piece of flat steel (many different uses)
-flat spool of spiderwire thread
-a dollar coin
-some steel wire
-two eye screws

wallet has the normal stuff plus the following:
-Swisscard Lite with sewing needle instead of pin
-Guitar pick
-USB Drive
-dollar coins
-key that opens most warded masterlocks

These are some other items that sometimes find their way into my pocket, depending on what I'm doing.

-Bright colored bandanna (all my jackets already have one)
-Bright colored Bic Lighter (again, all my jackets already have one)
-Leatherman Charge Ti
-Victorinox Farmer
-Victorinox Alox Bantam
-Poncho/Water purification tabs/Aspirin/Advil/Pepto
-Moleskin pad with Fisher Space Pen
-14oz Nalgene
-gold ring (my grandfather's wedding band)
-gold chain with Eagle (gift from my parents when I became an Eagle scout)
-Sometimes a fixed blade, of varying size and length. Though they're packed away in various kits.

This is my school bag, as I'm doing the college thing. It's pretty much always with me when I'm walking around.

This is what's in the small front pocket.
-Something to snack on (this changes everyday)
-Umbrella
-Surefire spares carrier
-Rite-in-Rain Pad
-Digital Recorder
-14oz Nalgene in Titanium Cup (this is in the side pocket)

This is the middle pocket open.

This is what's in the middle pocket.

-Pens, pencils, Industrial Sharpie, highlighter/post-it flags, laser pointer
-Another bright orange bandana
-Spare pair of glasses
-Mini-Bic in hard case
-Surefire E1e-HA
-Leatherman Kick with clip
-Leatherman tool kit for Kick
-Diamond knife sharpener
-Mini-screwdriver set
-Cut resistant police gloves
-Large trash bag
-Painter's Mask
-Small roll duct tape
-Jute twine
-Paracord
-Large Sterile pads
-Pocket medic with some added stuff (meds, fish hooks, ear plugs, other little things)
-Compressed pack of 10 plastic bags
-CPR microshield (I guess I don't need this with the new CPR rules :))

I didn't take a picture of the largest pocket because that just holds my books, laptop, and sometimes my light windbreaker jacket when I'm not wearing it.

Hope that gives you an idea. wink

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: edc - 04/09/08 02:58 AM

Paul810...Guitar pick?

Re: edc - 04/09/08 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Paul810...Guitar pick?

A buddy of mine was teaching me to play years ago, but I never had to time to practice. His tip to me was always keep a pick in your wallet, just in case you ever need it. So, I do. Gotta be prepared for everything. grin

Really though, you never know when you might need a little piece of plastic like that. Its come in handy a few times as a little wedge or bookmark. I've even heard of people sticking them in the side of closed door frames, that way they can tell if someone has entered the doorway while they were away.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: edc - 04/09/08 03:29 AM

Space saver tip for the wind breaker: Strap it across the top & sides of the pack like a blanket roll if you've got the straps to do it with. The pack I'm using for a book bag has one on each side that are just long enough. They were meant to be used as compression straps.

Re: edc - 04/09/08 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Space saver tip for the wind breaker: Strap it across the top & sides of the pack like a blanket roll if you've got the straps to do it with. The pack I'm using for a book bag has one on each side that are just long enough. They were meant to be used as compression straps.

Yea, I've done that before. I've also jammed it in the bungee-cord netting in the front, which seems to hold it pretty well. That's one of the things I like about North Face packs, they seem to have straps, tie downs, and places to put stuff everywhere. The buckle for the chest strap even has a built in whistle, which is an awesome design. I wish every pack out there came with them.
Posted by: Raspy

Re: edc - 04/09/08 04:28 AM

Actually I have written and posted 3 rather lengthy articles on urban kits.

They are: Part I

Part II

Part III

Hope these help a little.
Posted by: Rusty

Re: edc - 04/09/08 01:31 PM

I have a semi stupid question...

My EDC includes a large backpack like yours (mine is a Targus Matrix). I carry an umbrella for when it rains because carrying a backpack in an "urban" setting with a waterproof pack cover could be seen as out of the ordinary. My small packable umbrella isn't really sufficient at protecting BOTH me and my HUGE backpack in the rain because it has a relativity small coverage area . I guess what I am asking is how do you guys protect yourself AND your backpack in an urban setting from the rain?

Wouldn't a pack cover be necessary or a large poncho to cover you AND your pack?

This has continuously puzzled me because I want to carry/wear a nice North Face/Columbia/Marmot rain jacket but I still need to protect my backpack in a downpour. I guess I could use a backpacking "waterproof" pack cover but I think that might look a little strange around campus...

I hope my rant is understandable... smile
Posted by: Paragon

Re: edc - 04/09/08 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
I'm not sure what would be best to search for, unfortunately you can't search for EDC.

The asterisk can be used as a wild card in the search function. "EDC*" yields eight pages of results among a variety of EDC subjects.

Jim

Re: edc - 04/09/08 03:00 PM

I think i am leaning toward buying a nice rain jacket that is a few sizes larger than what I normally wear. Now if I can just decide which brand and model to buy...

Re: edc - 04/09/08 03:37 PM

I carry an Integral Designs siltarp/poncho in my shoulder bag as EDC. It might look a bit wierd walking around down town with an oversized poncho on but it covers any pack I might have and I'll take strange looks over being wet any day.

Doubles as a shelter...very multi-purpose. If I'm in the wilderness I carry ultralight tent pegs along with it instead of a tent.

I've done the mini-umbrella in the past but the poncho is about the same size stuffed into it's sack and way more effective

Re: edc - 04/09/08 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Rusty
I guess what I am asking is how do you guys protect yourself AND your backpack in an urban setting from the rain?

Personally, I just give my pack a few good coatings of Scotchgard. After I do that I don't have any problems with rain. It sheds water like the feathers on the duck. You just have to make sure the pack has those little flaps of fabric that cover the zipper.

Re: edc - 04/09/08 06:40 PM

One other option I forgot to mention is something I do with my hiking pack:

I can't afford a waterproof pack and it's always been a royal pain for me to pull out the integral rain cover because you can't do it without taking your pack off (unless you have some friends with you).

I load everything inside the pack which is succeptable to water inside silnylon roll top waterproof bags and put THOSE in the pack. They're light, relatively inexpensive, and keep everything but the pack itself dry.

Mountain Equipment Coop has just started selling some large enough to (and designed to) fill the entire inside of a pack for this purpose. I like several smaller color coded ones personally it makes organization easier.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: edc - 04/09/08 07:00 PM

Welcome Eire,

Its a good question. In fact we all change ours too... Start with a small kit of useful things and try to avoid carrying a whole backpack - just in case.

Teacher

Re: edc - 04/09/08 10:16 PM

Paul810,

I like your Titanium cup that fits on the bottom of your mini Nalgene. I have one that fits on the bottom of my large Nalgene. I think mine is a 700ml or something like that...

What volume\capacity is yours?

Re: edc - 04/09/08 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Rusty
Paul810,

I like your Titanium cup that fits on the bottom of your mini Nalgene. I have one that fits on the bottom of my large Nalgene. I think mine is a 700ml or something like that...

What volume\capacity is yours?

Mine is a 400ml MSR Titan. It's the only titanium cup I could find that kind of fits the wide mouth 16oz nalgenes. It's still a bit too large, but much better than most cups I've seen. It won't fit the full size Nalgene bottles though, nor will it fit the 16oz narrow mouth bottles. It does fit perfectly in the sides of the pack though.
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: edc - 04/10/08 12:21 AM

I don't do urban any more, but in a work setting I don't worry about my leather briefcase. It must be waterproof. Cows float, right?

For dayhiking, my pack (L.L. Bean Bigelow Day Pack, Top-Load)
has a great built-in, attached cover that zips away in a pocket underneath when not in use.

Posted by: EHCRain10

Re: edc - 04/10/08 01:15 AM

I have to agree with the multiple coats of scotchguard, I use a product thats called Survivors Water Proofer that works pretty well.
Posted by: Paragon

Re: edc - 04/10/08 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul810
The buckle for the chest strap even has a built in whistle, which is an awesome design. I wish every pack out there came with them.

If you have a couple of bucks in your pocket and an REI store nearby, you can pick up a replacement WSR Whistleloc Buckle in the gear repair department. It replaces any side release buckle designed for 3/4" (20mm) webbing.

Jim
Posted by: Frankie

Re: edc - 04/10/08 02:03 PM

When you play the guitar it's a good idea. I remember how many times we wished we had a pick in many occasions and trying carboard and other stuff as improvised pick that doesn't work.

But later I took on classical guitar and got longer fingernails on my right hand but then women would complain so I now carefully manicure.

Frankie

Re: edc - 04/10/08 02:15 PM

Speaking of drybags and I know that you have the german alpine rucksack, do you know by any chance which drybag model available at MEC best fits the german rucksack? I may go with the rucksack and try them in store but I'm just asking while here.

Thanks
Frankie

Re: edc - 04/10/08 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie
Speaking of drybags and I know that you have the german alpine rucksack, do you know by any chance which drybag model available at MEC best fits the german rucksack? I may go with the rucksack and try them in store but I'm just asking while here.

Thanks
Frankie

For the big sizes, sorry I don't. But I can tell you that I've used 2 of the OR Helium #1 size dry bags side by side in the Ruck and they fit very well.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442620921&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699989&bmUID=1207841711154

I'd like to try one of the new pack liner bags in the medium size with a few of my packs to check the fit.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442625580&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699989&bmUID=1207841767731

If you can get to a MEC location just bring it with you and explain that you're looking for a dry bag that will fit inside...I'm sure they'll let you try it out as long as you're supervised.

Posted by: Taurus

Re: edc - 04/10/08 02:47 PM

Quote:
best fits the german rucksack?

Hey guys, If you are looking for larger drysacs take a look at these. I have one in my issued ruck and they work great(a little expensive)

http://www.cpgear.com

A lot of cool pouches and stuff here as well. And no I am not affiliated............

Re: edc - 04/10/08 07:00 PM

I got the medium pack liner in blue, it looks like it fits well:

Re: edc - 04/10/08 07:03 PM

Good to know!

What's the material like? Is it like silnylon or heavier/thicker stuff?

Re: edc - 04/10/08 07:10 PM

More like paper thin silnylon with a small ripstop and you can see half way through it. When I saw it I first thought it looks cheap but since it's a pack liner it may be all that is required and will still save many garbage bags... Time will tell me if they are durable.

Frankie

Re: edc - 04/10/08 07:19 PM

Sounds like a good buy. That's very similar to the Outdoor Research bags I use. So far they've held up quite well.

I still pack a garbage bag or two just in case though smile