Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose

Posted by: raptor

Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/05/08 10:05 PM

Hello, I am gradually gathering basic survival equippment. Recently I have purchased StrikeForce fire starter. Next items on my to-buy list are signal mirror and whistle.

Signal mirror:
I narrowed down my selection to StarFlash Ultra Mirror from Ultimate Survival Technologies - approximately 18 USD ( http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_view.cfm?product_ID=695 ) and Rescue Flash from Adventure Medical Kits - 9 USD. I suppose both are great. I have read some reviews - for example great reviews here by Doug Ritter and this review from Backpacker ( http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/pop_news.asp?id=2006-10_Backpacker )
But I still wonder which:
- is more reflective
- is more scratch resistant
- is less breakable
- has better aiming technology

My favorite is so far Rescue Flash because it looks like high quality mirror for low price. Does it also float like StarFlash Ultra?
I would be thankful for opinions on those products or even experience of the person who has used them both and can compare them "side by side".

Anyway I could buy both in the future and have one backup mirror for me or someone else.

Whistle:
I will surely purchase Storm whistle and will carry it inside my backpack but I also want something small to my pocket for EDC.
So here are my candidates:

ACME 636 Tornado Slim Line - Marine ( http://www.acmewhistles.ca/ )

Ultimate Survival Technologies JetScream Whistle ( http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_view.cfm?product_ID=432 )

Fox 40 Micro Safety ( http://www.fox40world.com/index.cfm?DSP=...ery&id=4130 )

I wonder which performs the best.

Thank you in advance for suggestions, comparison etc.
Cheers.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/05/08 10:53 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!

Sorry, I can't help you with the mirror. I have a couple of the starflash types, but the only times I have ever used a mirror for real (to lead a chopper to my location), it was with a plain old two sided thin metal "camping" mirror with a sighting hole drilled in the middle of it.

As for the whistle, the one I carry daily, on a dog tag chain, is the ACR . Flat, pretty loud, and I always have it. Works for me...
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/05/08 10:57 PM

Another whistle to consider is the one made by ACR. It was designed to meet USCG and SOLAS requirements. It's only about $3, but, don't be fooled by the price. I have had it on my EDC keyring for a few years now and although it's not as loud as a Storm, it's pretty good, and it's thin enough that you'll have it with you all the time. I bought them at West Marine, but, I see that Campmor has them for even less:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10306
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/05/08 10:58 PM

I guess great minds think alike?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/05/08 11:03 PM

Seems like it...

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/05/08 11:56 PM

Thanks for welcome and for suggestion OldBaldGuy, Be Prepared. This whistle looks good too.

ACME Tornado Slim Line is the most accesible for me here where I live (Czech Republic) since local store carries it and in addition itīs not expensive. It exceeds S.O.L.A.S requirements. So I will probably buy it. However If it turns out that Fox or JetScream or ACR are really better I can always purchase them later. I may be wrong but I guess these small whistles performs + - equally.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/06/08 12:38 AM

Good evening Raptor and Welcome,

I have done some whistle testing with our youth group and found that the Fox 40, ACR and Acme are near the same sound level, it always came down to the lung power of the kid doing the blowing. Depending on the day and which set of keys or PSK I have with me I could be carrying any one of these whistles. The Storm whistle is louded than the other three but I find it too bulky to EDC. I have never tried a Jet Scream whistle.

I just now put an Adventure Medical Kit Signal mirror (taken from a D. Ritter PSP) into a tub of water, it floated for a little while but when I removed the packaging that had trapped air in it, the mirror sunk to the bottom.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/06/08 01:14 AM

Thanks a lot, SwampDonkey! Interesting informations.

One thing on ACME web caught my attention - Sportwiz Electronic Whistle (over 120 db) smile. Itīs under Specialty Whistles. Not really for EDC, but it could be interesting equippment in backpack. And Storm whistle as a backup. By the way I also wonder whether those 120+ db could discourage some wild animal attack. But I wouldnīt count on it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/06/08 02:02 AM

The only whistle I trust is the Fox40. I carry one on a lanyard and another on a zipper pull.

My signal mirror is the type (the brand escapes me ATM) which has the mirror encased in a floating plastic shell. It's vulnerable to scratching so I wrap it in a couple of layers of plastic wrap from the kitchen to keep it scratch free. Glass is the best but it's heavy and won't float.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch - 04/06/08 03:41 AM

I used a signal mirror a lot some years ago (in SAR operations - guiding the chopper in, indicating your location to other teams, etc., and they are extremely effective, efficient signaling tools. i don't obsess about which particular type or the "aiming technology - five minutes practice with whatever mirror you have will make you an expert. Back when I used one routinely, I did carry a heavier glass military type signal mirror. Now that it is less likely to be used, I depend upon the mirror in my compass - it is real glass and the compass case protects it just fine. Some of my kits contain the plastic shaving mirrors with the reflective surface protected by a plastic sleeve

No one ever seems to mention it, but a mirror is really great for lighting up the entrances to mine shafts and caverns.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch - 04/06/08 03:45 AM

Why don't you just use an old CD for a signaling mirror? They're plenty shiny, have a whole in the middle to aim the thing, and are free.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch - 04/06/08 03:55 AM

CDs have been proven to not work nearly as well as a real mirror. Better than nothing but not what I'd pick if had the choice.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/06/08 12:33 PM

I like the Rescue Flash, but I'm also interested in the compact one that CountyComm has in their inventory right now. Smaller, yes, but sometimes a smaller one with you counts more than best but in the pack someplace else. I'm very pleased with the technical aspects of the mini mirror that AMK is putting in the SOL.

As for whistles... I'm going to be a heretic here. I do not like the Fox 40 Micro. Love it's larger siblings, but the two I bought can not be blow. They can be forcefully tooted, but it is not instinctive. ARC has carried a whistle very similar to the ACME 363 which I really like for a small whistle, not sure if they are the same thing. To me, a signal whistle that can be faintly blown by someone weezing with a punctured lung and a concussion is better than one that need a good pair of bellows and remembers how to use it, no matter how much better the output is.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch - 04/06/08 12:58 PM

I agree regarding the Fox 40 Micro, I get better volume from an old whistle I pulled from a teakettle I destroyed.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch - 04/06/08 01:40 PM

Mirror.. I prefer the ACR mirror. Solid hi strength plastic. Been carrying one for years and very little scratching. I think it floats but I have not tried it. Very strong. It would be difficult to break it. Comes with their whistle for $11 at most marine stores in the US.

I have used it for signaling many times. Light weight too.

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/06/08 05:29 PM

Thanks everyone for tips/experiences!

ACR definitely looks like a company I should add to my list. Their combo of mirror and whistle looks great(I guess this is what you described, Nomad - http://www.acrelectronics.com/hotshot/hotshot.html ). It has also a cylindrical float so it doesnīt sink.

Quote:
sometimes a smaller one with you counts more than best but in the pack someplace else

You are right, ironraven. I should replace StarFlash Ultra on my list with the smaller and lighter StarFlash.

I have created a small comparative list of the mirrors I am interested in regarding size, weight and the ability to float.

StarFlash (Ultimate Survival)
Size: 2" x 3" (5.1 x 7.6 cm)
Weight: 0.7 oz (19.9g)
floats

Hot Shot + whistle (ACR)
Size: 4.25 x 2.75 x .19 in. (10.8 x 7.0 W x .5 cm)
Weight: 1.8 oz (51 g)
floats

Rescue Flash (AMK)
SIZE: 3” tall x 2” wide (7.62 x 5.08 cm)
WEIGHT: 0.32 oz (9.1 g)
doesnīt float

Rescue Flash from AMK looks like a very small and lightweight mirror, exactly for EDC. It doesnīt float but I could make some small float for it. Hot Shot should be lighter since I believe 51 g is the weight of the whole combo.

As for whistle after further research I really started to like the ACR one. Thanks for suggesting it.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/06/08 06:03 PM

Hacksaw,

Which whistle; the Classic or Mini?

Posted by: BobS

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch - 04/06/08 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
CDs have been proven to not work nearly as well as a real mirror. Better than nothing but not what I'd pick if had the choice.

Want to see a cool thing with a CD? Put it in the microwave and set it for 15-seconds and look through the window.

You will see a dancing lightning storm right above the CD, it looks cool.

PS don’t use a CD you value as it will be junk after this.

As far as using a CD to signal, I’m sure they would work. But they are somewhat breakable to pack around.

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/06/08 08:52 PM

The only advantage of CDs is that they are really thin. So you could easily pack say 10 CDs and then improvise and attach them to some sort of board (wood, ...) and make a very large signal "mirror" consisting of several CDs.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/06/08 10:56 PM

Hey Raptor.

I use both the jetscream and the starflash and love them for my own reasons. Heres what I can base off of my own experiences after using a lot of the others as well.

Jetscream-(PROS) very,very loud with very little effort. When you put force behind it it will actually make your ears ring because its so loud but even a small effort will produce a very clear sharp signal. The holes are large and will not easily clog in a dusty enviroment(or in extream cold when ice can block the holes).flushing it with water will clean it right out. It is the toughest model I have yet used and can withstand abuse even when it is -50 deg cel outside.(my fox 40 shattered in the Alberta cold, and my slimline would constantly block with ice from my breath) It is flat and stores better than some of the bulgie types(in my kit anyway) and it is plactic compared to metal(the army still issues metal whistles which will freeze to your lips in winter if not careful)

CONS- For some crazy reason I could not figure out, all models came in black insted of a high vis color like yellow,orange or glow in the dark. this may have changed, I have had mine for a while now. They are some of the more expensive ones so buying in bulk may be a problem(7-9 bucks each) and they are a bit on the large side.(not ideal for a keychain)

STARFLASH-(PROS)This was the only model that stood up to Military use when used in extream cold weather. All other plastic models cracked on me.(my rescue flash came apart but the mirror part stayed intact,My Coghlans out right shattered) It will float quite well If you use it in a marine enviroment. Very lightweight compared to some other models out there.

CONS- Very easy to stratch. I cover mine with that foam stuff that comes in pocket flyfishing tackle and it works great. I wish they came with a protective cover of some sort though. I think it "aims" as well as the next but I wouldnt say it was any better or worst.

I cannot really say what is BEST in comparison to everything else on the market, That depends entirely on what you need/want the items for(for example, not everyone trains in the Arctic like I do) but I can honestly tell you that I have used these items in some of the worst possible places to find yourself in and have never been let down yet. I wont be replacing the starflash or jetscream in any of my kits in the near future because above all else they have served me flawlessly.

Of course, these are only my personal observations/experiences, hope I may have been a bit of help to you

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to choose - 04/07/08 12:25 AM

Thanks a lot, Taurus! Experience like this in the tough environment is always valuable. Now I know what to take with me to freezing areas.

I have found history of the JetScream Whistle which is not presented on Ultimate Survival website. http://www.vtarmynavy.com/jet-scream-whistle.htm .
I think I will purchase ACR and later JetScream and then decide which will be carried every day.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch - 04/07/08 01:24 PM

Quote:

ACR definitely looks like a company I should add to my list. Their combo of mirror and whistle looks great(I guess this is what you described, Nomad - http://www.acrelectronics.com/hotshot/hotshot.html ). It has also a cylindrical float so it doesnīt sink.

Yes that is the one I recommend. Also, consider the tone of the whistle as well as its volume. Older folks have a hard time hearing the high pitched ones. We tried several with a group of folks and many could not easily hear the high pitched, but louder whistles.

Re: Deciding which signal mirror and whistle to ch - 04/12/08 07:41 PM

Nomad: You are right. I havenīt thought about this. ACME 636 Tornado Slim Line is reportedly "very high frequency" whistle.