Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta

Posted by: norad45

Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/26/07 01:50 PM

I just saw an interesting looking gun in the NRA's American Hunter magazine. It comes with 3 interchangeable barrels: .243 Win, .22 LR, and 20 gauge shotgun. The blurb and the accompanying photo show a synthetic stock, scope mounts and an adjustable cheekpiece. Surprisingly, there is no mention of it yet at Rossi's US website although they do list a wood-stocked version without the mounts and cheekpiece here.

All in all a pretty versatile setup. A scoped .243 for long range deer-size game, .22 LR for small game, shotloads for birds, and slugs for (admittedly last-ditch) bear defense. I could see this as a pilot's survival gun depending on the weight, and of course the quality.
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/26/07 02:16 PM

Quite interresting. I will have to take a look at it in detail.

Thanks,
Bill
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/26/07 02:16 PM

Not bad I suppose, though I would like the high power chambering in something just a tad stronger, say a 25-06 or 25 WSSM as a minimum, just so I wouldn't feel too guilty shooting it at elk sized game.

I dunno about classing this as a pilot's survival firearm, though. Toting three barrels around is I think problematic from a survival perspective, and certainly would be prohibitive for E&E.

NEF makes a nice single shot with interchangable barrels that is much more versatile, in that you they have many more chambering configurations to choose from. Then again, Thompson makes a single shot pistol that also has interchangable barrels and is good for hunting most north american game except maybe Griz or Kodiak or Polar bears.

It is, of course, nice to see the market grow by the addition of new models and variations. I won't knock Rossi for putting it out there one bit. I am sure there's gonna be a market for this baby.

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/26/07 03:11 PM

You are right of course about E&E. I should have specified a civilian application where one would expect to be able to stay with the downed aircraft.

I would prefer a larger caliber to .243 for elk as well, but at 5 lbs (for the wood-stocked version at least) it might get to be a burden to shoot. (I think these were developed with youth hunters in mind rather than as a survival tool.) But in a survival situation a .243, while not perfect, will get the job done.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/26/07 03:17 PM

Last spring I briefly looked at Rossi combo's at Gander Mountain, but, the sights were held on by plastic. I'm not a fan of that, so that setup was a no no for me.

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/26/07 03:36 PM

Without seeing it I agree that sounds pretty cheesy, and would definately be something to look out for. The NRA review site here mentions that it has "Fiber-optic sights and a Weaver-style scope base" so hopefully they have upgraded.

I did find a picture sans scope here. While butt-ugly, it is kind of cool looking. smile
Posted by: Craig_phx

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/26/07 09:27 PM

If I have to travel on foot with a gun I vote for a large caliber handgun for self defense, like a Glock G23, and a .22lr handgun or rifle for food like a T/C Contender or an Advantage Arms .22lr slide. I have one for my Glock 23 and it is accurate and reliable. It loves the Remington golden bullet.

Posted by: billym

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/26/07 09:46 PM

Craig,
I have been toying with the idea of a .22LR conversion from AA for my G17. It sounds like you are quite happy with yours for the G23.
Bill

The Trifecta is a youth gun so won't it be a bit small for many shooters?
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/27/07 06:14 AM

If the best survival knife is 'the one you have on you' I shudder at what I've seen used in the field for 'survival rifles.' Brooks Range Alaska homesteaders favour misurp Mauser 98s with factory loadings notoriously underpowered in a equally notorious cartridge for reloading. In much of South America the single shot shotgun is king, and so deadly compared to indigenous weapons many arboreal species are in danger as much from native hunters as clearcutting.But the firearms industry would have us believe only the new wunder cartridge will do in it's proprietory new launching package. Several years past Marlin came out with the 'guide gun' a miserable carbine version of their .45-70 with visions of stopping all those killer bears in league with pagan biker gangs to devour any and all outside of Area 51 where Steve Fossey no doubt encountered a UFO and is talking with TBF Avenger pilots.I lost track of all the self proclaimed 'guides' who felt obligated to buy one, replete with personal stories of stopping said bears. I always wanted the splendid Luftwaffe Sauer Drilling. I finally did hunt with a Drilling, flushed a deer and raised my rifle to fire the 7x57R. the 16 guage report reminded me why I like the KISS principle.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/27/07 06:45 AM

I've been tempted to buy a shotgun for survival for a long time. The shotgun seems to be the most versatile. Easy to get shells, you can hunt anything with it, best for self defense...but then I remember the statistics. Lots of people shoot bears and the bear still kills them (a grizzly can still function for a time after it's heart has stopped pumping). I don't know of a single case where properly used pepper spray wasn't 100% effective.

Still tempted to buy the shotgun but I haven't found an argument strong enough to get it yet.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/27/07 09:12 AM

I would love to pick up a S&W Model 460 revolver. Shoots five shots of .460S&W, .454 Casull, and .45 Colt. I figure with .45 Colt shot shells I could take out smaller game, and with .454/.460 I could take out larger game. That's my theory anyway. whistle

Sure, a rifle would be a better choice for hunting, but I hate lugging a heavy awkward rifle around. At least with the revolver I could stick it in my pack, or even get a holster made up. Plus, it could be kept out of plain sight in the pack or under a jacket. It gives the option of not advertising being armed (whereas a rifle on the shoulder sticks out like a sore thumb).

Not a perfect solution, but the best compromise I could think of that might work in a majority of situations. Then again, I'm no expert.

With that in mind, I would still probably carry a .22LR pistol or break-down .22 rifle along with it. The ammo is easy to find, easy to carry, cheap, easy to shoot, and it's proven on small game.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/04/08 02:38 AM

While out of production, and in no way a bullseye rifle, I really enjoy and often rely on a .22lr/.410ga Springfield Armory M6 Scout like this

Spare ammo storage in the stock.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/04/08 11:35 AM

Is that paracord on the barrel? Hmm.

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/04/08 03:16 PM

I also have the M6 Scout. Carry case, sling, original from Springfield. I made one mod- the in stock storage-I drilled out one .22 space for the assembly pin, which has the reputation of getting lost, so a spare stored and available. I also have it scoped with see through rings. The squeeze handle/trigger can be used conventionally with practice, and I left the guard on, contrary to popular opinion and the original USAF version, because it gives you a safe place for the barrel to rest when reloading.

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/04/08 04:23 PM

Are there any current production over/unders like this? All I can really find these days are disc models.

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/04/08 04:45 PM

I've seen German makers, but none in US, I think. You can still find the M6 and the Savage 24 online for sale. If I had my druthers, I would get the stainless M6, or a Savage 24.
Like I need another!
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/04/08 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
While out of production, and in no way a bullseye rifle, I really enjoy and often rely on a .22lr/.410ga Springfield Armory M6 Scout like this

Spare ammo storage in the stock.

Every time I look at this gun one wonders which idiot decided .22/410 was a wonderful combination for a survival gun.

.22 long rifle? Yes. Best caliber for taking small game. No question.
.410 gauge. No. I can spit father than its effective range. You might possibly be able to take a bird on the wing with it at close range, but would it not make sense to let it settle and then shoot it?

Before anyone complains that ain't sporting, might one remind you all that this is about survival. Not sportsmanship.

To me a better combination would be .22/.303 or similar. I am sure that other people would have their own views & one would be interested to hear them. Something that will allow you to take larger game and give you a decent chance against large predators.

I grant you that recoil might be a bit stiff, but its only for one shot.

20 rounds of .303 or ..... & 50 rounds of .22 would last you for quite a long time.

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/04/08 06:26 PM

Well, I'd think .410 would be a bit limited, but I wouldn't be thinking about taking big game with it in a true survival situation anyway (though a .22 would stand a decent chance at that, too, if you were patient). 20ga or maybe even 12 might be nice. I think i'd settle on 20ga myself.
Even so, .410 would be useful.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/04/08 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
To me a better combination would be .22/.303 or similar.

I agree, although I'd rather have .30-30 or .308, being on this side of the pond. Or .44Mag, because it gives up some range but is a lot smaller per round. smile

The problem that rears it's ugly, ugly head everytime I mention this is sights. .22LR has a certain ballistic profile. The bigger rounds have another ballistic profile. Get one sighting system that can handle both. The best way would be to put optics on it, with a see through base and iron sights. So which one do you put the glass to? The other way would be to determine hold X-high/low at Y-range for one barrel and zero for the other.

It is a great idea, but I'm just not sure it can be made viable. frown Trust me, I've been trying to work that part out for a long time.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/05/08 12:31 AM

i would think the AR-7 and Scout are survival rifles while anything larger is more of a BOB weapon..
Posted by: sotto

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/05/08 01:37 AM

[quote=Leigh_Ratcliffe
Every time I look at this gun one wonders which idiot decided .22/410 was a wonderful combination for a survival gun.

.22 long rifle? Yes. Best caliber for taking small game. No question.
.410 gauge. No. I can spit father than its effective range.
[/quote]

Yup, tell that to all the idiots (like me) who grew up bringing lots of pheasants, rabbits, quails and squirrels to the dining room table with their 410s. wink
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/05/08 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Jeez.. the last time I looked for an m6 they were going for ~$350, and that was about a year ago.. now they're easily $4-500. I'd be happy with one of the Marlin .22/.410 O/U though. Not as cool, but still a nice gun.

Try Cabelas gun library. Online you will only see firearms priced $500 and up. If you call, they can research any $ amount. This is how I got mine from KC to here in DFW. $250 for the gun and $50 for shipping. Be patient cause it ships on their store truck, and that fellow gets paid by the hour vs. mile I think.

The real kick in the tail happened in late 1990.
I was offered 5 of the USAF issue M6 survival rifles (14" BBLS) at the cost of $100 ea., buy a "Fine Upstanding Young Man Yes Indeed" (READ: Drug soaked bum).

His only mistake was not realizing that I was an off duty MP less than 1/2 a mile from the main gate of the post. . . . .
Toughest honesty call/gut check I ever faced off duty!

Still no relationship with aforementioned retailer except wish lists.

Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta - 11/05/08 02:12 AM

Ironraven-
Yup I saw a distinct difference in the M6 even with the "flip around" sights, presumably included to offset the issue you describe. So the varmint scope I sighted to the .22, and I shoot the .410 with the see through/traditional sights.

No problem, and like originally stated, this isn't designed to be ultra accurate, but rugged and "at hand", for critters, not defense. But with the scope, I improved my percentages.

And sotto, ditto, I grew up with a .410, easy to handle, did the jobs on the little dinners-to-be.